Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonMovieGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just got a brand new, already formatted for mac WD 2TB External Hard Drive.

When I plugged it into my Macbook Pro (mid-2010) using El Capitan, the drive was recognized- but when I click and drag it will not let me put files into it. It gives me error messages.

STRANGELY when I plugged it into my older 2009 iMac running Snow Leopard, it works fine.

On the box, it says it's compatible with Mountain Lion and up, so I don't even know why its working on SL vs my newer El Capitan.

I already emailed tech support and they haven't gotten back. Any ideas?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Just got a brand new, already formatted for mac WD 2TB External Hard Drive.

When I plugged it into my Macbook Pro (mid-2010) using El Capitan, the drive was recognized- but when I click and drag it will not let me put files into it. It gives me error messages.

STRANGELY when I plugged it into my older 2009 iMac running Snow Leopard, it works fine.

On the box, it says it's compatible with Mountain Lion and up, so I don't even know why its working on SL vs my newer El Capitan.

I already emailed tech support and they haven't gotten back. Any ideas?
My modus operandi is to always do a fresh format of any external drive with the native tools. Never trust the factory formatting.

As in "WTF is this drive formatted with the brain-damaged EXFAT filesystem instead of NTFS?".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.