WD External Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sayre, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sayre, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

sayre macrumors member

Hello, I have a 2 TB WD My Book Essential Edition External Hard Drive and I am having major problems with it. From time to time I would have mounting problems, but this time my computer is saying it cannot read my external. I originally formatted the hard drive as FAT32. I do not need this format at all, as I am exclusively all mac now, so I moved all my valuable music files, e-books, etc onto another hard drive and tried to reformat this hard drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), for whatever reason I'm still getting major issues and on top of that it's telling me to restore. I've never restored before either, but I figured if I just wiped everything off and started all over, I would be good. I'm still having issues, here are some pictures of what it's saying:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty frustrated and I'm even considering just buying a whole new hard drive under a different brand, since I cannot remedy this issue. Is this a user error here, or is my hard drive completely gone? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

3. sayre thread starter macrumors member

Hmm? Are you asking me if I tried to reformat the drive for mac? I did, I selected Mac OS Extended Journal then erased it and I'm still getting issues.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

try reformatting it is FAT, not FAT 32.
    Then reformat in MAC

I am sitting here trying to think what I had to do with my Seagate. Had similar issues.

5. sayre thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I meant MS-DOS (FAT), that is what I had originally formatted it as, on my iMac, when I first got the drive.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

give me a sec and Ill throw a WD drive on here and see what tools are available

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

8. sayre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll see if any of this works. I'm not sure there is anything like that on a mac, as far as the disk management service. I have one windows computer left in the house, how would I go about deleting the partition, if I had to go that far?

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

give me a sec

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

control panel
    >Computer Management
    >>Storage
    >>>Disk Management

When the window opens up right click on the drive and delete partition

then you can either format there or on the mac

11. sayre thread starter macrumors member

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

hmmm unfortunately I can't erase either of my WD drives at the moment as I am moving information from PCs to the NAS

13. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Can you try and format the external hard disk trough os x install dvd? The hard drive maybe failing, I had an hard drive that would work about 30% of the times, so it needed to be replaced, but since you already made an backup no worries there.

Check for clicking noises. You can erase the hard drive using dd, but if you are unfamiliar with it I would not recommend it since its dangerous tool to toy around with.

14. Ommid macrumors 6502

15. sayre thread starter macrumors member

I already did a re-install of the OS X disc. I checked my macintosh hd after having issues with the external and it also showed some errors, but i was able to correct that problem by re-installing the disc, however I am still having issues with the external. I erased everything again on the external and verified and I saw green, everything was ok, so then I attempted to move my files over to my hard drive and now I'm getting Error Code - 36. Is there anyway to get around this error code? It seems to freeze or stop in the middle of a transfer of files, very frustrating.

16. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

17. sayre thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I'm disappointed that this hard drive did not last that long (maybe 2 years). Any good recommendations of hard drives that sync well with mac? I don't think I want to try western digital again.

18. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

You might want to try OWC, http://otherworldcomputing.com/ I use a Mercury Elite Pro 500GB, so far it is good. I also use a WD My Book 500GB with no issues yet. Both of these are only backups HDs. Worth looking into OWC, might be pleasantly surprised to find something you want or need.

19. sayre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the information and the help, I really do appreciate it. I've been moving my files onto the drive, it seems I got all of my music and ebooks over quite nicely. When I tried movies though, that's when I started getting the Error Code - 36, so then I tried to move one movie file at a time over and that seems to be working, although I can't figure out why I can't just grab my whole folder and move it at once, this will be tedious, if not time consuming. I wonder why it won't let me drag my whole folder over, any ideas? I'm still probably going to look for another hard drive, just in case, now that this thing has made me a bit uneasy.