WD External Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by natoquick, Sep 14, 2009.

1. natoquick macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I just upgraded to Snow Leopard a few days ago, but was then away for a couple days and just found a big problem with my external hard drive. It's a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 500 GB drive. I have it connected via Firewire 400 to my iMac. I've owned the drive about 14 months.

Now to the problem: My computer won't recognize the drive, and the power button will not turn off the hard drive. I tried restarting, then disconnecting everything and reconnecting, next I connected via USB, checked it with my roommate's computer and nothing recognized it.

Some additional background: A couple months ago I was having issues where my computer would go to sleep, and then on restart I would get messages to the effect of improperly shutting down a peripheral, and the drive wouldn't be recognized. A quick restart of my external HD fixed it every time. But then that issue went away.

I tried searching and didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

-Nathan

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can't use the drive's power button to turn it off? :confused:

3. natoquick thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Call WD. I think their drives have a 3-year warranty. That has nothing to do with your computer or OS.

5. jdwashoe macrumors newbie

Try unplug and cool down period.

I've noticed my WD's 400 FW externals also don't show, let alone mount, on a few times a year.

I've a chain of 3 - 1/2 TB's + other FW connections. They stay on months at a time. But every few months one will just get too warm and the solution is to shutdown - pull it out of the chain,- let it sit 30 minutes unplugged to cool off.

I can then add it to the back on the end of FW the chain after spin up.
    Symptoms are often a slow Blue ring or white bar flashing. Ring sets power button often unresponsive until after cool down.