Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
I have a WD External HD with no power cable. I thought it could run off the computer with no need for an external cable. I was wrong. Can I get it to work in any way without having to go and buy a new powercable for it. It is a MyBook.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Is it a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD?

If it's a 2.5" HDD:

Do you have a Y-USB cable, the one with one small port on one end for the HDD and on the other end two bigger ports for the USB ports on your computer.

31OHcobbn9L.jpg

Also try different USB ports on your Mac if possible.

If it's a 3.5" HDD:

Get an external power adapter.

3.5" HDD MyBook
dhwdbaaf0015hbk.gif

2.5" HDD MyBook

Hmm, WDC only shows MyBook HDDs as 3.5".
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=8

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
no, i am afraid not.

i am presuming that it is a desktop hard drive as mybooks are 3.5"!?

unfortunately, you will need external power.

edit: lol spinnerlys, big long post only to find out WD only makes 3.5" mybooks :p

htg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
I think I'm gonna have to get a power adapter. My My Book looks like this:
wd-mybook-premium.jpg

I do have that type of USB cable but it doesn't fit as it's a 3.5 inch...

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I don't know, WDC doesn't say so. Maybe it's a legend...

Spinnerlys, I'd like to take the time here to thank you and commend you for all the help you provide to others here on MacRumors. So many times I see that you've gone to the trouble to help someone and they never respond back, I find that maddening. Anyway, thanks for being there for those in need.

As to the WD question, My Books are 3.5" desktop drives, My Passports are 2.5" portable drives.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Spinnerlys, I'd like to take the time here to thank you and commend you for all the help you provide to others here on MacRumors. So many times I see that you've gone to the trouble to help someone and they never respond back, I find that maddening. Anyway, thanks for being there for those in need.

As to the WD question, My Books are 3.5" desktop drives, My Passports are 2.5" portable drives.

Thanks for the thanks and the clarification.

And as waloshin put it nicely, the ones that can't help themselves, help others, or something like that. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.