WD External Hard drive won't mount

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DDolan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DDolan macrumors newbie

I've searched Google and the forums on here and Apple.com but found no way to fix the problem.

I have a 1TB WD external hard drive with two partitions: backups and storage. I use it for both my iMac and MacBook and have never had any problems with it (it's under a year old).

Earlier tonight I unmounted I ejected it from my iMac with no problems, plugged it into my MacBook and Time Machine did it's job with no problems either. I also dropped a few images onto there after that which copied over fine.

I then went to ejected it and went to put it on my iMac but it wouldn't show on the desktop. I checked Disk Utility to see if it would show there but didn't. I then plugged it back into my MacBook and it didn't show there either, but when I checked Disk Utility it was showing. I tried ejecting it from there but kept getting an error message about making sure any files or applications were closed. I had nothing running, although the HD was making a similar noise to what it usually does when Spotlight is indexing it. I waited until it stopped then tried again. Didn't work.

I've since tried using DU to carry out First Aid but that just sat there for ages.
    I've also tried Disk Warrior and that managed to rebuild the storage area, but not backups. It's also able to let me see all my files on the storage bit in preview mode. I tried mounting this, then getting DU to make a disk image of the partition so I could copy the files from it later, but that was taking a ridiculously long time.

Disk Warrior shows the backups partition as "Unknown Disk" and has the error "Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure..."

Also, totally randomly, the partitions will appear quickly on the desktop but the icon is faded and they only appear one at a time.

I'm stumped. Any ideas of what I can do?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Hardware failure means, broken drive. It happens, magnetic media is not stable and mechanical equipment around it is even less so.

Buy another drive and restore from backup. If it is a newer drive, return it for a replacement. If it's old, chuck it.

If you have no backup, which is a BAD thing, you could go to one of those places that will try to recover your data, but they cost an arm and two legs.

3. DDolan thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems to be working totally fine now. I got frustrated, shut the iMac down for the night and the next morning it was all back to normal. Baffling. I had restarted it while trying to fix it too.

4. aarons510 macrumors newbie

If it's still under warranty, I'd return it to Western Digital for a replacement.