WD external hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PFost19, Oct 31, 2011.

1. PFost19 macrumors newbie

This summer I bought a WD 1TB external hd from costco, worked great untill a couple of days ago. Plugged it in and no sigh of it in finder or disk utillity. Only thing I had on it was 7GB-Music 50GB-movies and 5GB-Pictures

2. PFost19 thread starter macrumors newbie

not yet i will though.if i leave it in for 5 min it says disk was not ejected properly but shows on the desktop but when i do anything it goes away. btw I have copies of all the files it would be nice if i got the files back but not essential

3. PFost19 thread starter macrumors newbie

did the reset worked the first time i plugged it in but only for a min. tried a couple hours later and it froze my MBP had to manually restart. the external HD does spin and make noise (with the light on ) when its plugged in

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Do you have a different enclosure you could try the drive with? (Don't do that if it's covered under warranty, just get it replaced.)

5. PFost19 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Does your external WD hard drive happen to be a WD My Book Essential Edition 2.0?

If so, that's what I've got hooked to my MBP 15 and it's working just fine. I have split it into two partitions, one for the MBP and one for Windows.

I've had no problems since I hooked it up about a month ago.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Try a different computer just to extract the files. Then return it. Costco has a fantastic return policy.

8. jdsingle macrumors regular

If it was the My Book you may be toast. I went through 4 of those things. Drives just die or if they tip over sometimes you can lose everything. Is the driving making any type of clicking noise? Can you hear it spinning? Have you tried on another computer?

You can always use Active Recovery if you end up being able to see the drive but have lost all the files.

9. PFost19 thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive does spin and start up and im in Europe until december so i cant return it now and i really need it. I dont use the WD software because I've had some bad experiences with it in the past, i dont use any backup software i just manually put on my music, photos and videos.
    Ive also tried on a MacBook and aHP laptop running windows 7 no luck on either.
    What is active recovery and how do i do it?

10. jdsingle macrumors regular

Recovery software. Idk if they a version of it on a Mac. But, while transferring about 100GB of data to my external HDD I lost everything on it for some reason. I was able to run this program and recover almost everything.

But, your first issue is to detect the reason it isn't recognizing the external.