WD External HD Crash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pbone, May 31, 2008.

1. pbone macrumors newbie

This is what I emailed WD two days ago:

I was working away like normal yesterday, and I received a prompt dialogue on my mac telling me about an improper device removal. I had no other things plugged into my usb ports, so it was the HD. It then shut off, then restarted again. The indicator light is on and green, and I can hear it working inside. There is no clicking or no strange noises of any kind. There simply isn't an icon showing up on my screen for the drive. I've tried installing it on other computers, but there was no response. I switched out the USB cable, and still no response.

Now, whenever I plug the power in, the indicator light flashes for a second, then turns off.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Are you asking if the drive is defective? There's no way to tell for sure, but it looks like it is. It could either be the drive itself or the controller electronics which are on a board within the drive case. You could remove the drive from the USB case and test it with a straight IDE cable on another machine but If it's still under warranty that would void it. I suggest obtaining a RMA from WD and exchanging it for a new one.

Regards.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

That's not entirely correct. Not all external enclosures use IDE hard drives, some actually use SATA hard drives.