WD External HD Studio Edition assistance desperately needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thaibuddha79, Nov 20, 2008.

1. thaibuddha79 macrumors newbie

First, I have to extend an appreciative Thank You to everyone with the knowledge to give it away for free. Amazing, and completely fantastic.

I have come to a difficulty with Time Machine and my external HD. I have a 500GB Studio Edition WD HD. I have loved it thus far, but upon the realization that I have probably ten to twelve too many Time Machine backups, I needed to delete them from my External. So I went about in the old fashioned Drag and Drop method, which has worked flawlessly for me in the past. I removed about six of them, just in case, but now am finding that they may not have been fully removed.....and Trash was run several times to Securely remove the backups (which took a good 45 minutes). Upon removal and remounting of the HD, it seems there is a phantom in my HD that still takes up the space that my deleted backups held, but is completely devoid of information. I am wondering if I can recover this lost space in any way shape or form.

I tried Repair Disk and it said the disk is fine. Essentially, I am thinking that these backups and recovering the space could save me in excess of about 80GB of free space, and am completely at a loss as to what to do next. Please contact me either email builderbob9791[at]gmail.com, or through this forum. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thai

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i dont know if this would work or not but you could download WhatSize and run it on the drive-the app is designed to measure a drive and tell you how much space files are taking up. There is a demo but there is a limit to how much space it can measure without buying it.

there is also a free app that may do it as well

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

hope this helps