WD External HDD help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michial, Sep 28, 2010.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

I bought and filled up a 2tb HDD while using my Dell Windows PC. I just bought an iMac and want to hook up the HDD but when I click on the DMG the WD Smartware window pops up indicating there is no writable partition available and will not show any of the audio/video files on the HDD.

I really dont want to have to buy another 2GB HDD, format it for mac and then transfer it all onto it.

Is there a workaround of any sort to retain what is on there and somehow create a partition or something for it to work?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You should at least have read-only access to the files on the HDD out of the box. Something is wrong.

B

4. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

I downloaded the file what do I do with it.

Yes when I click on the hdd it reads and shows up but nothing within the hdd. just the smartware and the manuals etc

5. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think WD external drives have two partitions, one for their software/recovery partition and the other for your data. check the other partition that shows up.

7. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

It asked me which disk to install it onto and I tried to install it on the externall hdd disk but said it could not. It had tobe installed on a disk running Mac OS

8. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Im new to mac so forgive me. On the desktop it shows the HDD and then the wd smartware

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

which HDD? the one inside your Mac? if so im not sure. or the other partition on your external? then the data is in there.