WD Green 2 TB for my MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TT1TT, Apr 13, 2013.

1. TT1TT macrumors newbie

TT1TT

i am planning to buy
    "" WD Green 2 TB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, SATA II, 8 MB Cache WD20NPVT ""

for my macbook pro 15 2013 , and i know It only fits in the standard location .

because i will make a fusion drive with 60GB SSD , dose it will be the same speeeeed as my old SSD ??

thx

2. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

Do you have a link to the drive? I believe that the highest capacity drive avalible that fits in the MBP is a 9.5mm 1TB. What specific MacBook Pro do you have?

3. Giuly, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Here, it's 15mm and may or may not fit into a MacBook (Pro), my bet is that if it would fit, it's in the Optibay rather than the hard drive spot.

Otherwise it's 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM or 1TB HGST Travelstar 7200RPM.

But the 2TB WD Green is so expensive that I'd rather get the HGST and put the spare $100 towards a 256GB Crucial m4 SSD instead of some sketchy (and for the most part slow) 60GB SSD.

4. LuxoJunior macrumors member

5. TT1TT thread starter macrumors newbie

TT1TT

according to the people who bought it ,

my purpose of buying huge memory is to have more space for my movies or pictures ....

6. Giuly, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Get an external hard drive. And as I said already, a proper SSD. $180 for a 2TB hard drive is way too much. An external 3TB hard drive can be had for $120.

Keep the stock 500GB or 750GB hard drive in your MacBook Pro and add a 256GB Crucial m4 along with it.

7. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

$180 for a 2TB is NOT too much money, at all. At least in the Laptop world.

It's a slow drive, but if you're going to make a fusion drive using a SSD in the DVD drive, I'd say go for it.

Be warned that making a fusion drive isn't as simple as throwing both a hard drive and a ssd in a machine. You have to follow instructions. (Google it.)

and installing a DVD Caddy isn't simple either. (Google it)

8. Giuly, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If all you do is store movies on it, then yes, it is. If you manage to watch 2TB movies on the go, kudos, you should get a badge or something.

For everybody else, an external hard drive for 1/2 the cost or a NAS does the job. If you need it, you can take the drive with you. Otherwise it stays at home.

Not to mention - again - that a 60GB SSD in a Fusion Drive with a 2TB hard drive is too small, and that they are slower to their larger counterparts.

9. cube macrumors G5

There's a 1.5TB 5400RPM Toshiba which is 12.5mm high.

10. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Listen, buddy. Don't knock someone if their needs are different from yours.

Analogy time - You don't need an SUV. You might not have friends or kids. But he might. He might want that storage space.

A NAS isn't a solution. It's much slower over wifi than a SATAIII hard drive. A 60GB SSD isn't necessarily slower than a large SSD, especially when you get a good brand.

11. Giuly, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I beg to differ. A NAS is sufficiently fast to even stream uncompressed BluRays, and on par with or faster than what you get from the WD Green. And that's what he suggested of doing with them - storing movies and photos, not using it as a short-stroked scratch disk for pro applications. It's not like a WD Green would be useful for that anyways. Also, if speed is your concern, I suggested the faster 1TB 7200RPM HGST Travelstar instead, didn't I?
    Even Western Digital itself states that the drive is intended for 'custom-build external storage solutions', due to the fact that it's large and slow.

Crucial's 64GB SSDs are slower than larger models, so are Samsungs', OCZ', SanDisk's, even Intel's. I have no idea where you get your informations about that.

Your analogy is a bit out of place as well. What's concerned in this topic is a small bus, not an SUV. Not fast, nor fancy, but fits a lot of people. They should take the train instead (external drive; faster, even more storage), so that you can get a fancy SUV (256GB SSD+1TB 7200RPM hard drive). Don't care for that Toyota RAV4 either and want a Porsche Cayenne instead? Get two 960GB Crucial M500 SSDs and RAID0 them.