WD Green or Black 1.0TB HDs for HP MediaSmart

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mjones185, Feb 18, 2009.

1. mjones185 macrumors regular

Hello,

I took the plunge and ordered a new HP MediaSmart Server for my Mac's and PC's. Should I get WD Green or Black 1.0TB hard drives? I'll be using the server for photos, video's, and music through an iMac, MBP, MB, and two PC's.

Thanks in advance.

2. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

Oops,

Newegg has black HDs for $129.00 and OWC has Green HDs for $114.00. Cost doesn't matter to me. I'm looking at longevity with decent performance.

3. piagetblix macrumors newbie

green is fine

I would think the green is more than adequate for NAS duties. I have one in a nas and its fine, but im sure my bottleneck is the g wireless my network is on. Also the power savings of the green thats being used in a nas thats running most of the time would lean me toward it for such applications.

4. moez macrumors regular

Go for the Black. Faster access speed because of 7200rpm drive.

5. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. What does it mean when WD lists the green HDs as 5400-7200? Are these variable speed capable HDs?

I got confirmation my MediaSmart will be here on Friday. Yea...busy weekend.

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

All the Greens are 5400RPM, WD is trying to hide the fact. Currently no variable speed drives in that price range. In the future, they might put out Greens with 7200RPM. It's like when you buy LaCie drive and the box states 8-16MB cache - I called LaCie and was told depending on batch it could be either one.

7. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the inputs. I decided to order the WD Black 1TB HDs and actually received them yesterday. Today I'm supposed to get my EX485.

I'll start out with this setup

750GB (HP Delivered)
    WD Black 1TB
    WD Black 1TB
    WD Black 1TB
    Seagate 750GB (Via eSATA)

And I have two G-DriveQ 500GB HD's that I haven't decided if I'll connect externally yet.