WD green vs red as a second drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by orph, Aug 28, 2013.

1. orph macrumors 6502a

hay i have a macpro 3.1 and i need to get a second drive.
    last set of drives i got where 1TB WD Greens (for my G5), so i was going to pick up a 2TB WD Green but noticed the WD Red 2TB costs only £11 more on amazon uk has a 24/7 rating and a 3 year warranty (only 2 year for the green) but all the info is about NAS/RAID usage so i just want to ask

can i use a WD Red like a normal drive in my macpro and is it better than a WD Green for normal use?
    ie is the red optimized for raid/nas in a way that will make the green better for normal use
    is any one using reds at the moment, having any problems with them?

all advice is welcome, thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can use a Red drive like any other drive. They're set up for longer life and have better warranties. The green drive will save power because it frequently goes into sleep mode.

3. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

have you used the red's before?

found 2 toms hardware reviews and there's only about a 1-2W difference
    red 3.5watt when idle and 4.8 in use
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/red-wd20efrx-wd30efrx-nas,3248-8.html

green 2.9watt when idle and 6.7 in use
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2tb-hdd-caviar,2261-9.html

in a macpro 3.1 it's almost nothing compared to any other part :p
    main interest is if the red has any quirks when not used in raid/nas and reliability of the disc.

one thing is i turn my mac pro on/off every day, if that matters

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They came out after I already purchased my NAS, so no. From the reviews I've read, they're a positive addition to the WD's line up.

5. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

good to hear, ill order one tonight (unless some one gives a big warning)

the idea of a 24/7 rated drive at that price point just sounds amazing to me, like the blacks little cheep brother :D

and i like that there meant to be cool and quiet,

ill report back on how it turns out once i get it up and ruining.
    (ill start with a drive scan)

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I was using WD Green drives for awhile (4 in my mac and 20 on the job). I got them cuz they were super cheap. My question is why do you want them? They don't save enough power to be meaningful. They do not spin down on their own or anything. They're just slower and that's it. And that's where all the power savings comes from. If you can get faster drives for the same or lower price I would recommend doing that instead.

7. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Green is for storage only
    Blue is for normal performance
    Black is for high performance and gaming
    Red is for small servers and NAS

Decide upon that list I wrote

8. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

i like the look of the WD Green & Red for the price and warranty, thats where the red shines. the power usage dose not matter it's tiny & the blues are to small.

as a brand WD seems good to me i have 8 external and 2 internal WD drives with no problems , one warranty replacement which was painless, also got a hitachi drive in my laptop and 2 laice external drives (don't know whats inside them :p).

if the red is just a normal drive rated for 24/7 use and a longer warranty (hoping that means better quality parts) then it sounds good to me even if it's a tad slow, if i need a fast drive it can go in the 3rd drive bay.

red £82 (3 year warranty)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYGSK14/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

green £78 (lol price has gone up since this morning, 2 year warranty)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Green-Desktop-Drive/dp/B008YAHW6I/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

i see a seagate barracuda 2Tb for £65 and thats a 7200rpm drive but only a 1 year warranty which seems lame http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Barracuda-inch-Internal-Drive/dp/B006H32Q3S
    & a toshiba 3TB 7200rpm £85 drive http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-027-TS with a 2 year warranty (is toshiba a good brand for HD's?)

9. gsloan macrumors member

I'm running 2 WDC Red 2TBs in SW RAID-0 on my 4,1->5,1 system and using BlackMagic, see throughput of 250-260MB/second read and ~230-240MB/second write

Not slow by any means. Works extremely well as a data drive, since I've got backups of critical files.

10. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool to hear first hand experienced gsloan did you try the drive's before you raided them?,and what are you using to raid them just the software raid in osx?

ps do they make much sound :D

11. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

We use these 8 of the WD Reds for a NAS and I use one Red 3TB for a constant backup of a raid 0 array in the Mac Pro 5,1 - They have worked great for the past year. Shop around for best price You may even do better than Red @ £82

12. orph, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

javathehut, im quiet happy with amazon also checked ebuyer.com & overclockers.co.uk amazon comes out best or the same as dont know any others.
    the price seems fine, seems good for the size

edit-
    ordered the red from amazon uk will report back on how well it works :D
    @gsloan id love to work on DaVinci Resolve, maybe when it comes to geting a second drive ill try a RAID like you to run it :p but maybe ill need a faster macpro the 3.1 is meant to be a tad slow from what iv read.

13. gsloan, Aug 28, 2013

gsloan macrumors member

I can't hear them at all. Even when drive access is going crazy. Literally zero impact to the sound from the system. I measured 38-40dBA 1' from the system both before and after the drives (3 of them) were installed.

I'm just using software RAID in OS X. I didn't try them before RAIDing them, however I do have one of them running standalone in Windows, and it is, in my experience, a very quick drive.

14. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

The WD Reds do not, by default, park the heads, which is not a big deal in a NAS environment. Do you really want hovering heads in a desktop usage ? What if you bump the desktop ? Because it doesn't actually park the heads, I would also be worried about frequent power ups and downs with the heads contacting the platters often (this problem for desktop usage was overcome with parking heads, FYI).

The active spinning speed is also just 5400 RPMs for the Reds, as per analysis by SPCR, which translates to slower performance for desktop usage.

See all the caveats summarized in Anandtech's review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6157/...iew-are-nasoptimized-hdds-worth-the-premium/2

The good thing about the WD Reds is some operating power reduction. As for vibration reduction, the WD Blacks already feature doubly bolted down motor spindles (top and bottom), and I would recommend the Blacks for desktop usage.

15. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like the look of the blacks but they cost a lot more, id rather get a green as I dont need the speed at the mo, well the reds ordered so ill see how it go's

I hope the parking things not a big problem, but at least iv got a long warranty and i do try not to kick my macpro but it dose happen :mad:

ill read the review now if it's relay bad ill switch to a green

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I think if speed isn't the main concern then that just leaves Price-per-GB and warrantee length. Head parking and silly stuff like that isn't important in a desk-top computer. When you shut down or send an eject from OS X all drives will park. All drives do that.

If you're shaking the drives that much for parking to actually matter then green is the way to go with their slower spindle speed! Faster spindle speeds means the drives are more prone to more damage than slower ones - given bumps, shakes, and so forth.

Have you thought about a hybrid drive? It's probably a misfit for your goals but if it doesn't matter anyway it might be a fun thing to casually profile under your usage profile. :)

17. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I don't personally think the WD Reds are "bad" drives. They are just designed to work in large clusters in a fixed, always-on environment. I have no doubt that they will work on your desktop, but there are increased chances of issues due to the way they were optimized. If you use these drives on a non-Mac computer, there is a DOS (and may be Windows, too) utility program from WD that allows you to tinker with the settings, and I do remember reading from that Anandtech review that you can set the head parking to something other than default value.

18. meptik macrumors newbie

Hi, just wanted to chime in on the head parking thing...

If I remember correctly, there was actually some controversy about the WD Greens rather excessively parking their heads. By default they do this after just 8 seconds of inactivity, leading to a rapid rise in load cycles. The idea here is that all this would negatively impact lifespan.

At some point I used wdidle3 to alter the interval from 8 seconds to 5 minutes or so. By that time, compared to the other drives in my Pro, the single 2TB green already had a way higher load cycle count.

I also have 2 3TB Reds, which I got recently. Quite happy with them, they're quiet and do their job. To my mind they're slightly more silent than the Greens they replaced, but perhaps that could be related to the age of the old drives. Or I'm just imagening things :p. I'm only using them for storage, so I can't really comment on performance from experience.

19. orph, Aug 28, 2013

orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks meptik, ill have to look up wdidle3 (if i set it up in windos will it still be the same in osx?)
    when you say you have two reds are they in RAID or just as plain drives?

i dream of the day that i need 400MB/s, but for now i just need room :D

once my drive arrives ill embarrass you all with the slowest drive speed with the black magic disk speed test :cool:

and thanks for all the advice, it relay helps

edit- the red only has a 3 year warranty, at least in the uk at this time, WD cut back on there warrantys a while ago last time i was looking at drives all the greens had an extra year (i think)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets stay on topic folks. This thread is not about throughput speed. The OP asked about WD free, vs. red. Please keep the discussions centered on that and not RAID performance etc.

21. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

22. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

asked a friend who works with servers and got told that normal drives when attempting a write/read will make sure it works but raid drive will try once or twice then give up and switch to anther disc to maintain speed, which is a problem when there is only one drive, mostly a read problem.

then got recommended to go black, they say you never go back.. :p

there's always the option of changing the drive settings, even head parking can be enabled with the doss boot according to the anandtech article posted i assume my mac pro will run doss.
    hdd guardian http://code.google.com/p/hddguardian/ looks like it may be useful too but windozz only

im still split after the Waring of potential read errors because it's optimized for an RAID setup, but im hoping that if i run drive testes and hit a pile of errors ill just return the drive say its bad and switch to a green, sounds like a plan :confused:

23. CaddDood macrumors newbie

When someone asks about WD Green versus WD Red Hard Drives discussing performance IS on topic.

I don't believe he wanted to know our color preference. :rolleyes:

What's up with the MacRumors Police lately ?

24. Tesselator, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

^^ I agree. And RAID throughput (in RAID0) is identical to single drive performance - just multiplied. Maybe the mod was trying to justify the name calling and offer a little grace? <shrug>

Black is what usually gets recommended when the choices are of WD exclusively. Unless the intention is large RAID arrays. Even for small backed-up RAID arrays it's really not all that important. I ran those 20 green drives in several RAID6 arrays at work and served video-on-demand in a busy hotel for 8-months off them with no troubles. They were pretty slow but that was the only issue.

If a model is tuned for RAID whereby it doesn't try to recover for as long that's not much of an issue either. Likely in either case (long and short error recovery attempts) the logical sector will be moved to one of the reserved sectors and you will get a Removed or Reallocated Bad Sector count increase. Big deal, no whoop! If you get very many of these the drive is bad - period. It should never have to try and recover from an error during it's warrantee period or within it's manufacturer stated operation limits. Certainly not more than a few at any rate. If it does then no matter what the color you should try to change it out for another unit or another model ASAP. I've found it's usually model & revision based myself - and I go through about 100 to 150 dries a year for the past umm, I dunno 11 or 12 years I guess it's been.

25. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep well next time i think ill just get a smaller black drive.
    I just had X to spend so 1TB black or 2TBgreen/red and just needed a big drive to start me out.
    so now I have the OS on a old 250GB Hitachi drive 7200rpm (a Deskstar I think) then a relay old 80gb drive that came with my G5 tower :p with windows on for fun (just because i can) so i just needed a drive with storage to get the computer working next will be a 1TB black (or equivalent) but that can wait till i get a new GPU.

thanks a lot for all the help, ill try out the black magic disc test and see how my drive rates :rolleyes:

thanks for all the advice and help

ps
    if i can find a way to change the TLER settings ill report back, might be of use to some one in future :eek: