WD Hard drive advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by catchbar, Feb 12, 2009.

1. catchbar macrumors newbie

I was planning on buying a new 1 tb external hard drive from WD this week as my 500 gb WD My Book Pro Edition has gotten pretty full. (I partitioned it so that half of it is for time machine, and half is for manual back up of photos and video footage)

A couple of days ago, I plugged in the My Book Pro and neither partition showed up. It's making normal noises, no grinding or clicking, just the usual spinning, but it's not showing up in the finder or in disk utility.

So my questions are twofold.
    1-Any advice on how to proceed with my current hard drive?

2-I was planning on getting a Western Digital tb hard drive, but now I'm hesitant. Any buying advice?

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I would got to wesertndigital.com and request a RMA.

Keep trying to plug in the drive so that maybe you can get the info off there. I had to do this with my WD MyBook Home 320 gig.

I moved off the data and paid for an advanced replacement (they'd charge my CC if I didn't return the defective one in 30 days).

I got my new one in 4 days and I just moved my back up and started Time Machine again.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I have a 160GB WD MyPassport that is over a year old and a 640GB WD MyBook that is a couple months old, no problems whatsoever.
    Have you tried different USB ports or maybe even a different computer?

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

My only advice is to make sure your new external only has one drive in it. Often times you'll get 2 drives linked together, but it doubles your chance of losing data, b/c if one drive goes down you lose everything.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It wasn't two drives, it was one drive with two different partitions.

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I understand that... I was just putting in a word of caution for the future purchase. Lots of cheaper external drives are actually 2 drives in a RAID 0 configuration to appear as one drive.

7. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Mine was just over 9 months old when it went bad. I bought two at the same time and one didn't make it.

I have purchased WD hard drives my whole life. I have never had an issue. I think my first one was a 10 gig IDE. :eek: