WD Hard drive slows down macbook pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bernwg, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Bernwg macrumors newbie

I just bought a new hard drive, WD 750gB SATA II 5400rpm, to upgrade my current 250gB one that came with my current 15" Macbook Pro (bought the laptop in feb 2010).

I copied (restored) everything to the new one with Mac OS Extended (journaled) using apples disk utility. Opened my macbook, swapped harddrives, booted up perfectly, however...it runs, then stops, then runs and stops and so on, I cant even listen to a song on itunes without the computer stopping the song to load.

Is this because of the type of hard drive that i bought or the way i restored it?
    If it is the hardrive, are there any 750gb hardrives that work with macbooks properly?

2. ale500 macrumors regular

Try using Disk Utility to verify that the filesystem is consistent (healthy)... something does not sound right.

3. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Spotlight?

Don't forget Spotlight will index that new drive and that can make it seem slower and hiccup.

Maybe by now it is working better?

I added a 1TB drive to my mid 2010 MBP and for about an hour it drove me nuts while it and Time Machine both did their initial thing.

Mikey

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I was thinking that indexing thing too. I recently changed hard drives and that happened to me and it drove me nuts until I figured out the drive was being indexed...

5. Bernwg thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for your response, ill install the hard drive again and see what happens and post it here.