WD Hard Drive suddenly not recognised.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htg, May 8, 2010.

1. htg macrumors regular

HELP!

Just a few seconds ago, my WD Mybook external HD wasn't recognised. The sign came up saying that you should eject your drives before disconnecting them (although I didn't disconnect it). So I unplug it and try to plug it back in and it isn't recognised. The hard drive is powered (I can hear it spinning), I tried switching firewire cables, I tried it with another computer, and it isn't recognised

I have important stuff on there, I need to get it back.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Try Disk Utility in Applications / Utilities and see if it is recognized there or if you even can use the REPAIR DISK option.

3. htg thread starter macrumors regular

I checked. It isn't recognised in disk utility.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So it does not even show up then?

Hmm, do you have another computer (Mac or PC) where you can check?

Sometimes an SMC reset might help.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

5. htg thread starter macrumors regular

As I said I already checked with my other Mac and it isn't recognised. I reset the SMC but nothing seems to have changed.
    EDIT: I made it work! Reset the SMC, pulled out the power cable from my hd then put it back in and it worked. thanks!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have the opportunity to extract the actual HDD from the case and put it into another case for 2.5" HDDs?

And if you registered your Mac, you are able to download a full version of TechTools Pro from the Apple website and maybe use that to repair the HDD.

7. ACiB708 macrumors regular

There might be something wrong with the filesystem table. Chances are it's not that big of a problem. Try Disk Warrior for Mac, bet it fixes your problem.