Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hogly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
I've been using a WD hard drive to back up my mac on time machine. When I used boot camp it recognises it (as an item on safely remove hardware) but I can't find it on my computer, any help?

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
The drive is formated for mac so it cannot be read by the windows computer. If you are using it for time machine, then it is inaccessible to the windows side of things unless you create two partitions and format one as a FAT or NTFS.

Hogly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
The drive is formated for mac so it cannot be read by the windows computer. If you are using it for time machine, then it is inaccessible to the windows side of things unless you create two partitions and format one as a FAT or NTFS.

As a fact I've already formatted a partion as NTFS, Im not a TOTAL idiot.

Hogly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Word of advice: In the future, actually tell us what you've done when you ask a question. Then, perhaps, we'll be able to not recommend something you've already done. :confused:

Sorry, this is only my second thread :(

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
As a fact I've already formatted a partion as NTFS, Im not a TOTAL idiot.

I apologize and I didn't call you stupid at all. If you would have mentioned that in your original post we would have known how to better answer your question. But if that is that case, I am not sure what to do.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
If you go into disk management (from computer manager) you will see the disk in there. You may need to assign a drive letter or initialise/import the drive - if you can't figure out what is required post a screenshot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.