WD HD - working on both - Mac and Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by McMaki, Sep 23, 2009.

1. McMaki macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I suppose that somebody already ask for this (general) problem, but I couldn't find the solution for this type:

I have and WD external HD, which I want to use on both - Mac and Windows.

As I couldn;t "see" it on Windows, I tried to do the partition with Mac.

So, I went to Applications > Utillities> Disk Utillity an opened Partition tab.
    I chose Volume Scheme: 2 partition.
    First volume I called MAC and on Options tab I choose Apple partition Map
    (It is written Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled))
    Second volume I called WINDOWS and on Options tab I choose Master Boot Record
    (The same is written: Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled))

But, after all that I still cannot see WD on Windows computer!

And, as I can see now, for both partitions on Options tab it is chosen Master Boot Record?!
    Do I have to change something in Partition? Is this ok for Windows or should I choose something else (MS-DOS, UNIX...format) or some other Partition Scheme?! I am confused :)

Thank you very much in advance!

:apple: Maki

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Windows machines can only see FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives. You'll need to format your Windows partition as such. If you format it NTFS (using Windows), you'll only be able to read that partition with your Mac. You will not be able to write to it.

3. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You can install NTFS-3G on OSX to allow write of NTFS. I keep all my shared drives in NTFS. Works like a charm.

4. McMaki thread starter macrumors newbie

Tank you for your replies.

But I do not have option to choose FAT32 or NTFS?!

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Just an FYI, FAT32 (aka MS-DOS a la Mac) has a filesize restriction of 4GB. I'd format it NTFS.

You can do this one of two ways. Either format it as MS-DOS on your Mac first and then format it as NTFS using Windows, or use Disk Management on Windows to initialize and format that partition as NTFS.

7. McMaki thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I did it! Thank you!

And I have just one question more - if I use Windows PC and save some document on this WD (windows part) can I use/read/see it on Mac? And vice versa?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Not quite. You can read the NTFS partition on the Mac, but you cannot write to it without third party software. And a Windows PC will not read or write to an HFS+ formatted partition (I believe there are third party software that will allow this though).

If you're doing a lot of swapping between Windows and Mac, I'd suggest a FAT32 partition, as both Windows and Mac can read and write to it.

9. McMaki thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand now, thanx! Maybe FAT32 is the best solution because of all hat swapping.. And what about some restriction you mentioned, 4GB? I didn't understand that,

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you have files larger than 4GB in size, you won't be able to copy them to a FAT32 formatted drive. If you have no files that size, that won't be an issue. But if you do, then I would suggest three partitions. One HFS+, one NTFS, and a small FAT32 for transferring smaller (less than 4GB) files between Mac and Windows.

11. McMaki thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I got it :)

Thank you very, very much!

Best regards!

12. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Or you can just install NTFS-3G which lets your Mac write to NTFS.