WD HDD No Longer Shows Up on My iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stetwin, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I have two WD My book's connected to one another and then connected to my iMac via FW-800, for the last year and a half both drives have functioned fine, about two weeks ago the drives were unplugged from my iMac and moved to a new location on my Desk and Plugged back in. The iMac found them like normal and they functioned fine for the first few days, but now for some reason the drives don't auto power up with my iMac and then when I start them myself the drive spins over but they don't show up on the iMac, the lights on both of the drives remain on at all times and they no longer go in to the sleep mode where the lights blink. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how I can fix it?

Thanks a lot
    /Ste

2. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

this may sound stupid but have you tried unplugging and replugging them back in or trying them on another computer?

3. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I feel for you, dude. My 500GB WD drive just crapped out on me a couple of days ago and I lost over 200 movies. Even my backup drive crapped out at the same time. Tough luck, huh?

First, you may want to download the demo of Data Rescue and see if the files can be read, so that there is a chance to recover the files if the drives are corrupted or failing.

It may be possible that the AC power brick is failing. Do you have another similar drive to test this? Also, if you have another computer, try plugging in to that and see what happens. Try another port, too, or using a USB cable.

Another thing to try is Disk Warrior, but this may cause more harm than good if it is too late, so try the other methods listed above first.

Let me know what happens.

4. ag55 macrumors regular

Damn, your scaring me.
    I got 2 WD drives crammed with movies, one is a backup of the other. I dont know what i would do if i lost my movie collection. :eek: