Resolved WD issues; need to recover the backups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by britt0289, Jan 12, 2013.

1. britt0289, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

britt0289 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a WD My Passport (circa 2010), purchased a few months after I got my MBP. A few months later, the poor WD falls 3ft out my bookbag onto a hard floor. The casing has come lose and if you open the side, you can see into it...Also, the part that plugs into the drive is bent upward but still could plug into it. It has continued to work SEAMLESSLY since then, no problems! About 5 months ago, it falls 8 inches onto a carpeted floor and is not being recognized by my MBP (though it shows up in Disk Utility). I tried different cords and got the same result.

Yesterday I bought a multi-plug and used it on the external to my Mac...and it recognized it! All my data was on there like nothing had ever happened. Me being the primitive being I am tried to remove data off the device...and it was working but SO SLOW...I mean 3GBs of data that normally takes 4 minutes to move was estimating at like 8hrs. I decided to stop and canceled the transfer...now my Mac no longer recognizes the device (but it still shows it in disk utility).

I need a particular piece of data off of here. It served as my backup for my mac but it also has copies of a deceased family members documents I didn't get a chance to move. I have been reading and it seems like it could be several things but I don't know which would get me the results I want...quickly.

Some insight? That little ray of hope has me manic in hopes of getting that piece of data. Is it the casing, the cord or something deeper?

2. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs or on accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You should first try to repair the disk with Disk Utilities, if this does not work try diskwarrior, it does a better job than Disk Utilities, if this also does not work you can try to recover files in the links provided by simsaladimbamba above.

DiskWarrior is also not free.

4. britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is repair the natural option to fix the corruption? On top of remedying my issue, I would like to understand just in case this occurs down the line. It's that simple of a solution?

5. metalfab macrumors newbie

If you are tech savvy then download and burn Hiram's Boot disk (or install it to USB. This collection of tools has many disk utilities for free. It can be found here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Repairing a disk is the first thing to do if the HD is corrupted or the file system is damaged.

7. britt0289, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013

britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This is what is happening so far. Is this bad?
    The 'My Passport' is where the stuff is, disk21k or whatever was a partition where old backups from another system is. Should I cancel the repair and select to repair 'My Passport'? Or does it no matter?

And thank you, I appreciate it. I am usually a trial-and-error person but giving the sensitivity of this particular issue...I don't want to go to a point of no return.

8. britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went and got DW, went to the HD...and it said it can't be repaired. This is the end? I want to cry :(

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

DW is the best, if it can't repair the disk your only option is to recover the data.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Is this one of the Raided passport drives? It's showing up in disk utility, which is good. Just remember, you will want to retire this drive after extracting the data. You also need to maintain proper backups in the future to prevent a repeat situation like this one. File or block level corruption isn't something that can always be repaired. Disk warrior fixes the directory, often making it readable. If it wasn't visible to disk utility, this wouldn't even be an option. Data Rescue is another possible option. If it wasn't showing up at all in disk utility and wasn't a raid controlled external drive type, I'd say you could always try the bare drive in another enclosure. I would not suggest that here. It only works if it's just a drive + bridgeport, and if it works as is, that is your best chance. Trying different cables is pointless here. You've mentioned it having been dropped on multiple occasions. It's doubtful that you have a cable issue. Remember any drive can die, so you need to store your data in more than one location. It's fine to store on external drives, but they must be backed up.

11. britt0289, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm okay. SO here's a semi-update. Previously I partitioned the external. Split it 90GB, 250GB (this one has the stuff I need). The 90GB one can be repaired (doing that currently), the 250GB says error code -36, 2747. While I am sitting here...someohow the 250 one has mounted o_0. I am wondering if it is because I repairing the other one? It is sitting there on my desktop...should I click it? (paranoid)

Anyway, that aside, how do I recover? I use StellarPhoenix? Or DW? I don't see a recovery option on DW.

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can click it, no problem.

As for DW, it's not recovery as in recovery, it rebuilds/repairs the Directory so you are able to see the drive again.
    Recovery Applications scan the whole disk for Data, this is different.

Edit: I googled the error code, you'll find plenty of links there.

13. britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am now in the HDD while its mounted through DW. I am just going to see if I can take as much as possible off of here...even if it takes awhile. This might be my last chance...thanks :)

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The OP Pm'd me, got all the data of the HD after repairing the first Volume on the HD.

15. britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

This issue has been resolved due to justperry's advice. Repairing the disk allowed me to get the data. Thanks all.