Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Check the specs. It specifies that it is NOT compatible with TM.
OSX needs to have this reformated, default format is windows. Did you reformat it? May be then?
Basically Time Machine disks need to be the right format and I am not sure how easy it will be with the Raid. I think it should be possible on mac-mounted soft raided drives, but on external box? The system on that box which creates the raid needs to be TM compatible and WD is not specifying it. So chance is it will not work and it is not Apple fault.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I don't understand how that's even possible?

It's a USB 3 connected Drive.

Is the problem that TM doesn't work on RAID?

What if I used the duo as 2 separate drives?

See the compatibility grid at the bottom of the page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686D2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for helping me understand this,
Mike

I assume it is formatted for NTFS which OSX can NOT write to out of the box (it can read, but not write to). This is true for all "non-Mac" drives on the market. Just format to HFS and it should be fine.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks! I will reformat upon arrival

And thanks Pieterr for the link to the manual.

The drive didn't arrive yet. I ordered it (ok even if it couldn't do TM) since I have a NAS on the LAN for my macbook pro's TM backups. There is space and I'll use a separate NAS volume for TM for the imac.

I've never splurged for RAID 1 (redundancy) for any of my systems. I'm looking forward to having safer storage which will reduce my exposure when I'm lazy and don't backup to offsite as frequently as I know I should!

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.