WD My Book Essential 2.0 500GB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jscalt, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jscalt macrumors newbie

Any comments good or bad? I'm planning on using for Time Machine back-up to two iMac G5s (PPC, w/iSight) and a 2007 MacBook Pro, via Airport Extreme. Have heard different things about reliability. Any comments appreciated. Need quiet (in bedroom).

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everybody's opinion will vary based on their personal experience. Some will curse them, others will praise them. I have had good success with LaCie and with WD both, so no worries from me. I have the 1 TB MyBook and it has performed flawlessly for me.

Most drives are reliable, but you have to understand, they WILL fail eventually. It is just a matter of when. Hopefully you will get a good one, regardless of the brand you buy.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

These are all the drives that I use. I have never had any problems (knock on wood) with them. Buy and enjoy. The noise on the My Books are alright. The Passbook drives that I use for AEBS and Time Machine make no noise at all. Good luck!

4. lostime macrumors regular

are you sure 500GB is enough for 3 computers? My 500GB time capsule filled up quick with just my MBP going to it.

I do like the MyBooks though, I like the "World" editions that come with Firewire 800 and eSata.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Firewire is definitely faster than USB 2, and if it is an option... go for it. It is more expensive, but to me, it was worth it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. jscalt thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been wondering. The hard drives on the computers are not that big. And the MacBook Pro would only be backed up during breaks from college. If I go for the 1TB, then my reading says the my book essential may have problems - maybe runs too hot for not having fan?

Thanks

7. jscalt thread starter macrumors newbie

My understanding is that I have to go with USB if I'm accessing the HD through Airport Extreme. Right?

8. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Ha... I had two of these die on me out of the ten I purchased. All of them Firewire. Do I curse them? No. After diagnosing the issue, it was the Hard Drives that went kaput and not the interface. Also, shipping and handeling often plays a large role when it comes to Hard Drive. Ever since I changed my hard drive shipping option to FedEx overnight, I haven't had a single problem... that is, not yet anway. :rolleyes: