WD my book live

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by loverumors, Aug 31, 2011.

1. loverumors macrumors member

Just bought the my book live 2TB last night(good deal at a local store for $140).
    Hook it up to airport extreme, its up and running just fine. Its fast enough to stream 720p movie to my MBA 13". I was pretty happy for the performance. Its a very simple fast NAS for home you can buy right now. No problem with lion after I did firmware update.
    Just wondering any of you guys here are using the same setup? any tips and tricks you can share?
    Last night I tried to using time machine to back up my iMac(about 380GB) with wired gigabit, it took 17 hours. I guess its not bad?

2. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

I was thinking of getting one as well a week ago. But I went for Book essential + my time capsule setup. It works well, and tops at about 30MB/s due to USB2.0.

And you can easily access your data even when you're not home using mobileme account. It's the main reason i went for this setup over a My book live.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I did a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. I like being able to have two drives in RAID and it has a ton of features for remote access like FTP. It is a bit more expensive than a standalone USB drive, but the extra flexibility may be worth it for some.

4. jsolares macrumors 6502a

well a 280 backup took like 3 hours with my time capsule over gigabit ethernet.

5. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

I've used the WD Live drives before. They are a great simple solution for people looking to move things onto a NAS. The problem I had with them was I could never get the backup/snapshot feature to work across Live drives. It would always fail, even with the latest firmware on both. I ended up moving to a single Synology drive, and then tethering an external USB drive to backup what ever is on the Synology. The Synology also supports Time Machine backups...so essentially I have a backup of my backup... :D

17 hours seems a little bit excessive, especially if you are on a wired network. How much data were you backing up?

6. loverumors, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

loverumors thread starter macrumors member

Is the Synoloy compatible with lion? I thought after the lion update, most Nas drive became incompatible. I am only backing up about 380gb data. Should i change some setting in the airport exetrem!

7. dread macrumors 6502a

I have the same setup and here are my feelings

pros
    easy setup
    can be accessed from anywhere in the world
    time machine compatible
    cheap
    apps available for iPad and iPhone
    compatible with lion

cons
    very slow over wifi (max 9 mb/s transferring large files only 2.5 with small files)
    cannot send files from IOS devices using there app.
    My time machine backup is corrupt somehow and has to be redone. Not sure if this is a lion problem or wd.

I would probably buy again, but I am disappointed in the slow transfer speeds.

8. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I replaced my old Linksys router with an Airport Extreme because it was constantly losing the connection. The new router dosesn't have that problem. It also fixed the corrupt Time Machine backups. Still very slow on wi-fi, but it does work. I wish there was some way to speed it up.