WD My Book Studio Edition 500GB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ausdave, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ausdave macrumors member

ausdave

Hi All.

I bought a WD My Book Studio Edition 500GB several days ago... but I can't seem to get it to work properly.

It seems that everytime it goes to sleep it doesnt want to wake up... and just hangs if I try to open the drive in Finder (so much so I have to restart my iMac).

Also, I have tried to backup my internal hard drive to the WD external, however it seems to stop backing up after only several GBs (I have set my computer to never go to sleep as I though that this might be the problem, but it still does it).

Do I need to have the screen saver off too?

I have tried backing up with Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, and the backup software that came with the hard drive itself, but they all do the same thing.

I have tried erasing the drive, doing all the usual repair permissions etc... reinstalling/uninstalling the WD software, downloading the new firmware (which doesnt seem to find the drive anyway when I try to update it)... nothing seems to work.

I will contact WD when I get a chance... but thought that this might be an issue someone can help me solve without sitting on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

BTW... I'm running 10.4.11 and have it connected to FW 800 port.

2. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Check westerndigital.com. I think they have a firmware upgrade available. I just downloaded and installed the upgrade on my 1TB WD. The description says that it enhances Leopard compatibility. Good luck.

3. ausdave thread starter macrumors member

ausdave

I tried that.

When I run the firmware update the drive unmounts and then the firmware can't find it (and it wont mount again while the firmware update is running).

Thanks anyway though.

I'm starting to think that I may have got a lemon... which is ok... just means I have to take it back.

4. zschiffman macrumors member

It sounds like a lemon. These drives are so mass produced that they tend to get some lemons mixed in. From what I have heard WD is great with cust service and will actaully ship a new one to you before you even ship the broken one back....if you just got it though you may be able to just exchange where you bought it (if in store). If online, I would go through WD. :apple:

5. ausdave thread starter macrumors member

ausdave

Yeah I got it in a store, so I think I'll just take it back to them (although I might try calling WD first when I get home tonight just in case).

I've had good luck with hard drives over the years... so its probably my turn to get a lemon.

I've been very happy with the internal WD drive in my iMac and am planning on getting a couple more bare WD drives to put in a raid setup to back up my obscenely large and prescious (to me, anyway) music collecion.

6. zschiffman macrumors member

best of luck. :apple::apple:

7. ausdave thread starter macrumors member

ausdave

Thanks. :)