WD My Book Studio or Lacie d2 Quadra

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vermonter16, Dec 8, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

Which one would you guys pick? I was leaning towards the Lacie....leaning towards the WD....and I still can't figure it out. I need two drives - one for storing photos and video and the next for backing everything up.

2. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I also want a WD hard drive but it has the WORST WORST feedback on apple.com/store its scary:(

3. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

I feel your pain. I've read the same thing...all the hard drives seem to get mediocre reviews which makes it even worse.

4. jcosmide macrumors member

I too was in the market for the WD MyBook Studio and was scared away by the abysmal reviews. I ended up with an iomega UltraMax 750gb.

I have had a LaCie d2 quadra for over 5 years and is the most reliable and sturdy HDD I have. If they didn't come at such a premium, I'd replace all of my externals with LaCie drives and pop them in the rack that they sell for multiple drives.

i'd go with the LaCie for sure, but also check out the iomega, I picked up a closeout on the cheap @ BB.

5. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

So....I think I'm leaning towards the my book studio. However....if I get two of them, can I connect them together like the lacies and what they call (daisy chaining?) Remember....I am soooo new to this.... I wanted to go with the Lacie but I've heard folks talking about heat issues, noise issues... And the major problem with the my book seems to be the software upgrade I guess... Any advice? I really, really, really want to order two externals today... One 500GB for my movies and photos and a 1TB to back up both that drive and the internal one.

6. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...someone help me out...I was looking at the Lacie's again because they get good reviews on macmall...but not very many reviews. Question in general - if the external drive has a USB port - can I use that for like transferring from SD cards and such onto the computer? My imac has no easily accessible ports....that I can see.

7. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Not that anyone cares but....I wound up ordering 1 1TB Lacie d2 Quadra and 1 500GB Lacie d2 Quadra. Hope I made the right choice.