WD My Cloud VS Time Capsule....?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marc55, May 6, 2015.

1. marc55, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I currently use Time Machine to back up my rMBP to a external drive, and while I like Time Machine, I also like the idea of being able to access any/all my files while on vacation for my rMBP, iPad, iPhone, etc., which the WD My Cloud storage option offers.

I like that TM backs everything up, but let's face it, the most important thing is our files; settings can be reset, Apps can be downloaded again.

So, while I like TM, I think that the WD My Cloud might be the best "Overall" option.

Do any of you guys just use something like the WD My Cloud instead of Time Machine for back up?

Thank you
    m

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My backups contain sensitive data... which I don't necessarily won't accessible over the internet.

Additionally WD has questionable security, they've had continuous certificate issues.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I use both CCC with a NAS and TM with a TimeCapsule. Two different backup SW packages, two destinations. There have been times where recovering a deleted file was more convenient on one, other times the other.