Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deejayscream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Hi guys.I have WD My passport ext drive (silver one) with one firewire 800 port.Recently i bought a hard drive enclosure with 2 x 800 firewire ports.Any chance to "daisy chain" them up and connect with a MBP which contains only one fw 800 port?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi guys.I have WD My passport ext drive (silver one) with one firewire 800 port.Recently i bought a hard drive enclosure with 2 x 800 firewire ports.Any chance to "daisy chain" them up and connect with a MBP which contains only one fw 800 port?
Of course. One of the advantages of Firewire is the ability to daisy chain. Have you tried it?

deejayscream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
No,i haven't yet. I hope you can give some advice,how to do it:) Both need a power supply or just one is enough? I thought to do it this way: Connect WD My Passport to the Icy Box enclosure and then Icy Box to MBP.Am I wright or it won't work?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No,i haven't yet. I hope you can give some advice,how to do it:) Both need a power supply or just one is enough? I thought to do it this way: Connect WD My Passport to the Icy Box enclosure and then Icy Box to MBP.Am I wright or it won't work?
If they're bus-powered, just plug them in, the WD into the enclosure and the enclosure into the MBP. If either or both of the drives need AC power, plug the power cords in, as well.

Lucion

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
I have 5 WD Passports of various types chained together into a single FW800 port on my iMac. Works great. Mine all use their own power brick.

deejayscream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I have 5 WD Passports of various types chained together into a single FW800 port on my iMac. Works great. Mine all use their own power brick.

The Problem is,that my 2,5" WD Passport contains only one FW 800 port and doesn't have power cord.The other one has 2 FW 800 ports and a power cord.My question is,if they could work both at the same time without power,only using MBP power transmitted by fw cables:) ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Problem is,that my 2,5" WD Passport contains only one FW 800 port and doesn't have power cord.The other one has 2 FW 800 ports and a power cord.My question is,if they could work both at the same time without power,only using MBP power transmitted by fw cables:) ?
Plug them in as I recommended, including the power cord for the one that needs it. A bus-powered drive draws power from the FW port. Just do it and you'll see.

deejayscream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
It works like a charm!Thank You! Both disks don't need a external power supply.Last question:The external disk enclosure contains ONN/Off switch.Can there something wrong happen with my daisy chain,if this enclosure is always ON while plugging in?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It works like a charm!Thank You! Both disks don't need a external power supply.Last question:The external disk enclosure contains ONN/Off switch.Can there something wrong happen with my daisy chain,if this enclosure is always ON while plugging in?
No, it's fine.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Normally 2 x 2.5" drives work fine on FW800 alone, without a separate power adaptor. I can use two in a chain. If I connect another one and still not add a separate power source, then I start having issues.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.