WD MY Passport Essential HD case easy to open?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vaphoron, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I have opened several of the old style Passport cases but I've looked around and can't find any info regarding the new cases. I'd rather not buy one if it isn't easy to open because I'm planning to put the drive in a Mac Mini or MacBook.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

They are not that difficult to open- I have done so with several in the last few weeks and while they tend to make some ugly noises when you do it, they do so without damage!

Work a small flatblade screwdriver around the edges of the main colored part of the case to pry it up and the internal part will then just slide right out. The drives themselves are not even screwed into the inner part- they are just held in place by some rubber bumpers making it quite easy to remove once you have the case open. If you are replacing the drive with the old internal drive from the laptop, just put the rubber bumpers on it, slide it into place and slide the whole assembly back together and click the edges into place.

Actually that description sounds harder than it actually is, so go for it. With 250GB Essentials being on sale quite often at $99 at Circuit City and Best Buy it is a very cost effective laptop upgrade drive, as well as providing a suitable external case to use the old drive in. BTW- All that I have opened have contained Scorpio series drives for what it is worth.

3. Vaphoron thread starter macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to make a purchase until I was sure.