WD My Passport for Mac question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mware13, Sep 5, 2013.

1. mware13 macrumors newbie

Alright, so I just bought a WD My Passport for Mac and I would like to use it to backup my MBA using Time Machine. I would also like to use it as an external hard drive to store and transfer files from school.

I'm in a graphic design program at my university, and unfortunately all the computers there run Windows 7. Not only that, but I am unable to save my projects to the network (because I'm only allowed to save 700MB -- definitely not enough) and theres no other safe place to store my projects at school, because most drives can be accessed by anyone, or are erased after 24 hours.

So, back to my question. Is it possible to backup my MBA to My Passport with Time Machine, and then also use that same hard drive to store files from the school computers that run windows?

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Create two partitions in disk utility, one journaled (HFS+) and one fat. Run the TM on the journaled and access the fat partition in windows.

Like anything, run a few tests first to see if it works.

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

Yup, this is exactly what I would do, although rather then FAT I would use exFAT so I didnt have the 4GB file size limitation.......

4. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

I have a WD passport that I've used like this for years, works great.