WD My Passport for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlphaBoy85, Sep 11, 2013.

1. priitv8 macrumors 68020

2. simsaladimbamba

One has 1 TB capacity, one has 2 TB capacity. 2 TB of storage capacity is twice of what 1 TB offers.

Or do you mean something else?

3. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't mean the capacity, they're typically the same but with different prices; that's why I wanted to know the difference before placing an order.

----------

I guess you're correct!

Any other "difference" you know of?

4. simsaladimbamba

The difference in price is due to the difference in storage capacity, as normally 1 TB of storage capacity costs less than 2 TB, or a normal espresso costs less than a double espresso.

Only that one can also use HDDs, that do not have the "Mac" label on them and save some dough.

5. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

6. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

The higher priced model is an older part number, and is shown as Discontinued by B&H. It comes with a 2 year warranty.

The lower priced model is a newer part number, is active at B&H, and comes with a 3 year warranty.

Perhaps the newer models are just priced lower from Western Digital, which is pretty decent considering it comes with a longer warranty.

I just used B&H as another retailer example to get a better idea of the situation.

Mark

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Unless you plan to use the software that comes on the drive, save yourself some money and don't bother with the "for Mac" designation. Hardware-wise there is no difference between the "for Mac" models and the other models sold. The biggest differences are the software included and the format of the disk when it arrives on your doorstep. They count on people having a Mac, seeing "for Mac" and they're willing to spend the extra money (hey, they spent HOW MUCH on a computer?) to get one "made" for their computer.

When it arrives on your doorstep, plug it in, use Disk Utility to change it to a GUID partition table and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. Now you have the "for mac" drive without the software you wouldn't have used anyway but in a black case.

FWIW, I have the "standard" 2 TB version of those drives for use with my Mac, works perfectly fine with TM.

8. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot Mark!

----------

I've been reading the customer reviews on the standard WD version on Amazon, if I remember correctly one or more customers said they had issues when they tried to re-format their WD standard version to work with Mac; Like files deleting themselves, Mac doesn't recognize/read the WD itself etc.. That's why I wanted the Mac version specifically, plus it's compatible with Time Machine.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

As I said, I'm using mine with TM and it hasn't been an issue. No issues formatting it for use with a Mac, and I even have it partitioned on the off chance I need to transfer a file from Mac to PC or PC to Mac (formatted in ExFAT). I don't store any stuff on it other than my TM backup as I have a 500 GB internal drive.

Of course, I haven't gone looking for a file on the TM backup so I can't be absolutely certain something hasn't disappeared.

10. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Any drive is compatible with Time Machine if formatted properly. BTW - the 1TB in your link is 35-40 more than the PC version. The 2 is a little closer. Around many of these over the last few years and the only problem is an occasional bad USB cable. Good luck

11. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular