WD My Passport or Imoega Prestige - External HDD question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Samurai, Apr 26, 2009.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Alright everyone

I'll make this pretty short - which one of these two drives would you get and why? I am in the market for an external drive for my Alu Macbook 2.0 - need advice on which one to go for. I've bought both of them, will return one (got them at a special offer at the time).

Cheers

2. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

:p

Yo... I'm a big fan of your videos (just wanted to throw that in first lol). To answer your question I would say NONE of them! :D Go for the Seagate Freeagent Go, you won't regret it! I remember when I bought my HDD in December I was contemplating between this and the WD Passport. In the end I bought the WD, and well... it broke on the first day :( I then got the Seagate which come in some pretty pimp colors (I got the blue one) and it's MILES better than the WD in terms of performance and looks-wise. Brushed metal finish, LED lights which look like they're "breathing" when the HD is inactive (you can set the timer on how long before this kicks in.. or totally not have it at all). Not to mention the WD has that glossy finish which scratches super easy! If you're gonna get it on a special offer, see if you can get the Seagate.. if not, well WD I guess?

Oh PS - Get the PC one as you don't want to be paying over the odds prices for the Mac version. Sure, it comes with a dock (which honestly you don't really need), but it only comes in one color and is slightly bigger than the PC version. Get the Seagate PC one and format it. That simple! :D

3. redchannel macrumors regular

redchannel

Well, I just got a Western Digital MyBook in March and it just failed on me a couple of days ago :(. That's my two cents.

4. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Thanks for all the comments :)

Unfortunately, I need to make a decision based around these two products - I think I will keep the WD after much consultation.

Cheers guys :)