WD My Passport Slim v. Air

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flapflapflap, Dec 13, 2013.

1. flapflapflap macrumors member

Hello. I need an external hard drive.

I think both the Slim and the Air are great, but the Slim which will require reformatting for MAC use is $74 whereas the Air is $129.99. WHAT the heck will I be paying for that justifies a $56 price difference??? Anyone know if going with the $74 option is fine?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO302SO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4WEKSG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2. amien, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

amien macrumors member

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The $74 one will be fine. Just attach it and start Disk Utility then erase the entire drive in Mac OS Extended format and it will work fine. Don't use any of the WD software that comes on the drive.

Looks like they are jacking up the price for a little different design and convincing people it is made specifically for Macs, when there really is zero difference.

4. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i've been out of the storage scene for a while looks like they're finally at the slim 2tb stage...when will the 3-4tb portable drives start coming now:cool:

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Superb advice deserving of a spotlight.

Disk Utility is all you need.

Is there a difference between the drives, aside from color? Both have metal enclosures and seem identical. From the pricing OP described, seems someone is banking on Mac users being lazy, uninformed and wasteful, or maybe just willing to pay a huge premium for color coordination with their computer. If they're charging such a premium, it's only because they can.

Don't fall for it unless there's a difference I didn't see in my brief glance at those Amazon links, such as warranty, power consumption or drive spin rate.