WD MyBook 750GB HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bobjob186, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I just wanted to recommend the MyBook to anyone who is in the market for a new external Hard Drive. This thing looks great, is silent, and is a great price. If you need a new external look no further. I picked one up for $54.99 shipped from staples.com. Can't beat that.

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Thanks for the recommendation. But what else can you say?

Speeds, options?

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have a MyBook 500GB with FW800 that I use as a scratch disk when editing HD material. Very happy with it, even if it´s not a "pro grade" HD

4. Masteric macrumors newbie

My Book Studio Edition II

I picked up the WDH2Q20000 from Amazon.com last week. At the time, it was less than $240 (shipped). A bit more expensive, but I was looking for RAID 1. The drive is 2TB in RAID 0 (stripped) and 1TB in RAID 1 (mirrored). Formatted capacity is 930MB (RAID 1).

I have it hooked up to my 2009 Mac Mini via FW800. I ran XBench on it and the drive returned slightly better performance numbers than the eSATA 5400RPM 150GB drive in my Mac Mini (I have the 2.26Ghz/4GB Mini if you wanted to know).

The drive is almost completely silent. There is no fan. The drive does not feel overly warm or hot, though I have yet to really task the drive. Setup was easy. Once you load the WD driver you just select the WD drive icon on the top right of the screen and select the RAID and file system configuration that you want.

I was looking at an Iomega or a LaCie; both of which were $100 more. Those units do offer better options if you need/want to swap out drives later, but that was not critical to me. If I need to swap a drive in the future I will be sure to get the WD drive with the correct drive brackets.

Overall I am very pleased. No issues thus far.

5. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

+1

6. Bobjob186 thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as speed goes, I feel like it's pretty darn fast. I transfered 160GB in a little less than 2 hours. Options are limited seeing that my model is only a usb 2.0, but the fw800 one is probably a beast.