WD MyBook Studio Edition II

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gusious, Nov 19, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

So has anyone used one of these? I'm thinking about buying one of them but i'm so sure so i thought to ask first.

What's your opinion?

(Does the 2T model have 2 drives of 1T each?)

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

I have two of these (2TB models). Work great. And yes, they're 2x 1TB Green Power drives in the 2TB version.

3. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

So all those problems that were on the First edition are now ok?

Can someone take out the one terra drive and put another one? For example put a 500GB?

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

How about Lacie? They seem better built than the WDs, quieter, and more reliable in my experience.

Add to that, the last 3 WD externals I've crossed paths with - have all had problems.

5. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Hm... Lacie? I've heard of them as a name but never seen them....

Anything to suggest?

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well - first I'd purchase it from Amazon.com (or similar) as you'll get a far better deal.

My next Lacie (to replace my still under warranty failing WD MyBook Pro) is this one:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10922

Actual aluminum enclosures dissipate heat far better than plastic, and isolate sound much better. They also have thermal-sensitive fans that speed up under hi load / temps - but on idle are very quiet.

I have a Lacie net disk in my basement (ED Mini) which is my media server - and it works excellent. I have a 2nd ED Mini to back up files from my Apple.

WD has fallen from the spotlight in the past few years. It used to be Segate and WD - now it's Segate and Lacie for me. (segate for internals, Lacie for externals)

This same drive on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301201U...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227120715&sr=8-1 (he 2 TB version) If you don't want FW800 - the other models are even cheaper. But I can't imagine using a nice external without FW800. I never understood why the hub bub about FW was until I used it. Now USB is only good enough for Mice and Keyboards. ;)

7. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

I'm definitely gonna use firewire 800!!

Thanks i'll check them out although i'm "scared" to buy a LaCie...

8. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Sorry for bumping this thread but i'm going to buy an external one of these days so i'd really like some more opinions if you don't mind.:)

9. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I have a mybook studio edition II 2tb edition and so far it works great, my only gripe with it is when I'm using their software to get raid1 set, it won't allow me to do it when I'm connected via e-sata. I've never had a problem with western digital drives in the past.

I can sort of see the downside to this drive though as it gets fairly warm during constant access. It seems to be more geared towards backing up files and just letting it store instead of running things off of it.

10. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I bought one of these about 5 months ago and I absolutely LOVE it-have not had any problems at all- I HIGHLY recommend them-

11. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

How about LaCie Big-TDI-Guy mentioned? Are they comparable with WD's My book studio?

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I used to have the first rev of this drive. It was a great drive. Just be careful with placement. After a move I set up the drive. I had accidentally had it set upside down. (My idiocy) I fixed the problem within a couple of hours, but the damage from poor air flow had done it's damage and the drive died maybe a day or two later. Up until I was stupid though the drive ran like a charm. I have since started using G-Force for my external drives. Mainly because it is almost impossible to place the drive upside down, and then air flow might improve.

13. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i have the 1TB version of the wd studio II .. use it primarily as my scratch drive for video editing over fw800... had no probs with it... and its near silent!!

14. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

E-SATA work well on Mac Pro 2.66?

Is anyone using this with an E-SATA PCI card? Does it wake from sleep okay? Or maybe I ought to stick with built-in port 800 Firewire. I want to RAID1 the thing. If so is it better to use the supplied software or just use Diskrepair to build the RAID1?

15. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I know under windows their WD manager won't let you change the raid setting when connected to esata, but have not had any problems with sleep. I haven't tested this with my mbp since I don't want to buy an esata express card. If you use firewire you get the cool led effects showing you how full it is :D

16. 929406 macrumors regular

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Whenever I buy a hard drive, it's going to be Western Digital.
    I have five, maybe six (I'm too lazy to open my new computer), hard drives from them.
    Two of those drives are external.
    One I got three months ago and the other I got over year and a half ago, both still running fine.

So, it has like four 250GB drives that add up to 1TB (I'm in the middle of getting ready for school so I only took a quick look at it).
    If I wanted to I could upgrade it to 4TB?