WD MyBook Studio problems w/FireWire

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by r.j.s, Jul 11, 2009.

1. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I bought a 1TB WD MyBook Studio drive for use as my Time Machine backup, and I've been having problems with it ever since.

When copying files from it using FW, it will just stop copying. The only thing I can do is unplug the drive from my MB (Late 2006 White 2.0GHz 3GB RAM OS X 10.5.7).

Also, while it is plugged in, Time Machine will always prepare forever, I know the reason, but it happens at every backup and it takes about 2 hours to prepare.

The last problem is that the system will hang on shut down with the drive attached via FW. Just sit with only the desktop picture showing - the only way out is to force shutdown.

Any ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hey r.j.s. are you using FW 400 or 800?

I have the exact same drive hooked to my 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor - Santa Rosa 17" MBP with FW 800

I have never had a single problem with it

Has to be an answer of some kind
    Do you have another cable you can try?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

FW 400, I forgot to add that I've updated the firmware on the drive, per researching this elsewhere.

I'm trying it via USB.

4. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Update:

USB was no good either, so I exchanged the drive a few days ago. I have had absolutely no problems with the new one. Must have been a bad drive.