WD MyBook Thunderbolt DUO out...

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Higher in price compared to the networked version with gig-ethernet. Just go with the networked version and save $200. You won't notice a difference in speeds between ethernet and thunderbolt as your HD disks will be your bottleneck.

The only thing this one has going for it is the ability to daisy chain, but it's not worth $200. Make that delta closer to $50 and you have yourself a deal.

jterp7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Higher in price compared to the networked version with gig-ethernet. Just go with the networked version and save $200. You won't notice a difference in speeds between ethernet and thunderbolt as your HD disks will be your bottleneck.

The only thing this one has going for it is the ability to daisy chain, but it's not worth $200. Make that delta closer to $50 and you have yourself a deal.
I posted in another thread that I'd buy it at around 500, but the TB tax was around $200. It's actually more like 250 when you include the necessary cables.

The other issue is that unless you're transferring TBs of data back and forth daily (like a video editor or the like) you won't even see the benefits of TB until you daisy chain at least 2 of these bad boys.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Still way outta my price range, but nice to see another TB drive besides the LaCie. If we get some competition going, the prices will eventually come down to something us mear mortals can afford.

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If it was $50 more than the FW800 model, I'd buy it, but since it's $200, I am sticking with FW. I don't need raw speed, just raw space. :)

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
If it was $50 more than the FW800 model, I'd buy it, but since it's $200, I am sticking with FW. I don't need raw speed, just raw space. :)
Personally, I would hesitate before buying anything with Firewire now. I suspect that FW will disappear from most of the new Apple products that I will be buying.

I would prefer to focus on where the puck is going... rather than where it has been.

/Jim

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Personally, I would hesitate before buying anything with Firewire now. I suspect that FW will disappear from most of the new Apple products that I will be buying.

I would prefer to focus on where the puck is going... rather than where it has been.

/Jim
I expect my ATD to last for some time, so I will still have access to FW even if Apple moves purely to TB/USB3 on their computers.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I expect my ATD to last for some time, so I will still have access to FW even if Apple moves purely to TB/USB3 on their computers.
Like you, I also have an ATD. However... do I really want to only have access to media when I decide to use the ATD?

I am not saying that FW800 is bad... nor do I exact everyone to think that a couple hundred bucks is pocket change... but I do believe that it is more expensive to buy equipment with old interfaces in the long run. It accelerates the time to that equipment becoming obsolete.

/Jim

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Like you, I also have an ATD. However... do I really want to only have access to media when I decide to use the ATD?

I am not saying that FW800 is bad... nor do I exact everyone to think that a couple hundred bucks is pocket change... but I do believe that it is more expensive to buy equipment with old interfaces in the long run. It accelerates the time to that equipment becoming obsolete.

/Jim
My WD's are used for offline storage, so I only use them with computers connected to my ATD. That being said, I do agree with you that obsolencence is an issue, but I truly expect to need something even bigger a couple more years down the road (my 4TB drives are not even a year old) and hopefully the price delta for TB devices will have shrunk.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
agreed my MBP is a 2011 im sure it will last 4 more years by Firewire external was $150, when i have to replace my MBP and Firewire is extinct im not going to be crying i can no longer use a 4 year old external hard drive that was $150

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
here is the first review i have found.

As we should have expected, its using the Green Drives

http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/wd-my-book-thunderbolt/4505-3382_7-35169645.html

The internal hard drives used for the new My Book belong to WD's SATA Green drive family. They are called green because they're designed to use less energy than other drives of the same capacities. The trade-off is that they also tend to have slightly slower performance. Users can replace these two hard drives with another one, as long as they use WD's Green drive. I haven't tried, but WD says that although other SATA hard drives physically fit in the slots, they are not tested to work with the chassis.