WD MyBook Thunderbolt DUO out...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mmomega, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

So who's getting one of these?

They are much cheaper than a 6TB Pegasus, probably not the same speeds but more affordable.

WD MyBook ThunderBolt Duo

2. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Higher in price compared to the networked version with gig-ethernet. Just go with the networked version and save $200. You won't notice a difference in speeds between ethernet and thunderbolt as your HD disks will be your bottleneck.

The only thing this one has going for it is the ability to daisy chain, but it's not worth $200. Make that delta closer to $50 and you have yourself a deal.

4. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I posted in another thread that I'd buy it at around 500, but the TB tax was around $200. It's actually more like 250 when you include the necessary cables.

The other issue is that unless you're transferring TBs of data back and forth daily (like a video editor or the like) you won't even see the benefits of TB until you daisy chain at least 2 of these bad boys.

5. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Still way outta my price range, but nice to see another TB drive besides the LaCie. If we get some competition going, the prices will eventually come down to something us mear mortals can afford.

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

A little on the slow side. See review at Anandtech.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If it was $50 more than the FW800 model, I'd buy it, but since it's $200, I am sticking with FW. I don't need raw speed, just raw space. :)

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Personally, I would hesitate before buying anything with Firewire now. I suspect that FW will disappear from most of the new Apple products that I will be buying.

I would prefer to focus on where the puck is going... rather than where it has been.

/Jim

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I expect my ATD to last for some time, so I will still have access to FW even if Apple moves purely to TB/USB3 on their computers.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Like you, I also have an ATD. However... do I really want to only have access to media when I decide to use the ATD?

I am not saying that FW800 is bad... nor do I exact everyone to think that a couple hundred bucks is pocket change... but I do believe that it is more expensive to buy equipment with old interfaces in the long run. It accelerates the time to that equipment becoming obsolete.

/Jim

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

My WD's are used for offline storage, so I only use them with computers connected to my ATD. That being said, I do agree with you that obsolencence is an issue, but I truly expect to need something even bigger a couple more years down the road (my 4TB drives are not even a year old) and hopefully the price delta for TB devices will have shrunk.

12. Mj13young macrumors newbie

I will purchase the 4tb version, to work with my 13" MBA.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed my MBP is a 2011 im sure it will last 4 more years by Firewire external was $150, when i have to replace my MBP and Firewire is extinct im not going to be crying i can no longer use a 4 year old external hard drive that was $150

14. cuestakid macrumors 68000

here is the first review i have found.

As we should have expected, its using the Green Drives

http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/wd-my-book-thunderbolt/4505-3382_7-35169645.html