Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
hi all i am looking into buying some ext hdds
i have been buying wd drives i have a 1tb caviar black and a 500gb green for time machine

but i have read that gtech drives are really good and reliable and am wondering if i should go with a gtech or a hitachi drive which i think are used for gtech drives

i was looking into getting 2 2tb deskstar 7k2000 drives
i already bought a owc mercury elite pro dual bay enclosure

i was thinking of getting either two 2tb caviar blacks or deskstar 7k2000
but wanted to get some advice since i will be using this for all my music, movies and pictures and other stuff

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
As you're using it externally via FireWire or USB, I would get a pair of WD Caviar Greens or other low-power drives. Seriously, Blacks are waste of money because even FireWire 800 is slower than what Greens can offer so speed wise it doesn't matter what you put there. Blacks are also noisier, run hotter and consume more power.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
thx for reply but i am thinking of going with the hitachi deskstar

Dana Beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Love G-Safes

I have 4 G-safe drives, with raid 1 for redundancy. They also have user replaceable drives and Oxford chipsets. No software to install. If one fails, just replace failed drive and it automatically rebuilds. Yes, they do use Hitachi drives. I have had absolutely no problems with them before or after Hitachi bought G-Technology. The are more expensive, but I like having the raid backup. I think Verbatim makes one also.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
WD Cavier greens hands down, save money on power and more than fast enough for external drives, dead reliable too. Im currently running 9 of them externally and have never had any issues, i only ever had one Hitachi and it failed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.