WD Passport 1TB HD - How soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MaskAndWig, Sep 25, 2009.

1. MaskAndWig macrumors member

Recently, I bought a new MBP largely to do audio recording and editing "on the go." My first real road test of my little setup will be coming up in about three weeks and before I go, I want to get a portable external HD to back-up all the raw recordings as I go along. I will be doing a lot of recording at high resolution (generating large files), so the more capacity on the external, the better. I see that WD has announced a 1TB USB-powered portable in their "Passport" line, but Amazon still lists it as "not yet released." The B&H website seems to suggest that it may be coming in "3-7 days." Does anyone know how soon we can expect this? Has a release date been announced? (I can't find one...) I'll need some sort of traveling HD for my upcoming road gig, and I'm just trying to figure out if the 1TB model will be available within two weeks or if I should go ahead and get the 500GB model now.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is no real estimate, but I would assume not 3-7 days. Even so that is probably when they ship from Western Digital.

OWC makes a 750GB model for a decent price.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. sailfree macrumors newbie

Amazon

I was just notified by Amazon that they expect it between November 9-25.

5. BrooklynNoise macrumors newbie

I bought it this week at the J&R retail store in NYC (near city hall). they had like five more when I was there.
    It is being sold online for $200 with free shipping -http://www.jr.com/product/productDetail.jsp?navProduct=WD_BABM0010BBK

the reviews have been poor so far, but mainly people are complaining that they can't delete the backup software it comes with. I haven't tried it out yet so I don't know if that is true or if it is that big of a deal.