WD Passport 320 gigs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkjazzer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

So WD Passport comes in a format that is compatible with Windows and Mac.

However, that has a 4 gigs file size limit and is not enough for some of my .iso files.

So, can a genius here please tell me what that format is called that it ships with.

I heard windows uses NTFS (maybe I have the letters wrong).
    I looked in to this 3G thing by google but I can't figure it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_3G

Does anyone have a blog with step-by-step instructions on how to make it work? (I am not capable of compiling stuff [i think that is the word] which is where I always ran in to trouble in the past).

Can I reformat the WD Passport 320 gig to NFTS format?
    Will things like Imovie and final cut studio (if I ever get it) know how to utilize this NTFS-3G thing to write on to the external directly?

What is the Mac format called that has no file limit size?

What would you recommend I do?

I own PC desktop with 3 externals hooked to it.
    Can be networked to my mac to transfer files but it's so slow compared to usb 2.0 directly connected.
    I have a macbook pro with practically filled native HD and one wd passport but with the 4 gig file limit.

I really could use some help - such a noob with mac problems.

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Format the passport to OS Extended(Journaled) and then for your windows boxes, get a program called MacDrive, though I don't agree with having to pay someone to read a filesystem.

Or, be daring and stick the 320gb drive inside your macbook >_> That's what I did with a Passport recently, heh
    Also, the format it comes in is FAT32.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

HFSExplorer works for my read-only access of HFS+ drives in Windows.

Just make sure the file paths aren't too deep.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

One thing to keep in mind is that the "pocket" hard drives (like the Passport) aren't made to last like the full-sized external hard drives are. I use one to back up once or twice a month, and to transfer files from one computer to another, but I wouldn't use a pocket drive to run 24*7 as a Time Machine backup.

5. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

i just want a pocket drive for 4.1-4.5 gig size iso files... my dvds that I watch all the time. (they are instructional videos) and I'd rather just have the full file instead of compressed. It's annoying that fat 32 has a file size limit.

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Then formatting as Extended and using MacDrive on your Win PC's is the best solution. Works flawlessly for me on my WD 160GB Passport.