WD passport/my book mac connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sir Mudkip, Aug 28, 2008.

1. sir Mudkip macrumors member

sir Mudkip

Hi guys,
    Recently bought a :apple:mac.
    My family is a pc family, but after the first few days, i am really enjoying it but I am having a few issues.

First of all: My WD passport and my WD my book.
    Neither can be detected by my mac mini:confused:

Tried numerous usb cables to both my usb ports, checking desktop and disk utility after each hook-up. Both were commonly used on vista machines. Formatted the passport with FAT32, no changes >< Nothing has been detected at all. Is there any way that this will work at all :confused:

Next up: Do I have frontrow? My mac mini is a 1.25ghz g4, and I thought mac minis were supposed to have this, I might be mistaken.
    Also, what is 1.4.9???? I know its tiger, but I am a bit confuzzled because I used the tiger upgrade disk and it says I have 1.4.11?? Damnit That confuses me to buggery.

Last of all: My desktop is a litterbin of random icons. What the hell is going on? How do I keep all these things while keeping my desktop to just the basic wallpaper :S.

If anyone can help me out with any of these, especially the WD problem, I would love you! :D:D:D

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Not sure how to fix your drive issues.

Regarding Front Row, you should have it because it comes with Tiger. Click command+Esc or apple+Esc to activate.

Regarding the icons, what kind of icons are they? Are they files your are downloading from the internet? It's possible that you have an application, maybe your web browser, that's set up to download files onto the desktop.

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Do you mean 10.4.9 and 10.4.11?

I didn't quite get that part.Can you explain it a little bit?

Sorry but i can't help you with your external....

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but are you sure the external drives are not mounting? Mac's don't make much of a song and dance when you connect things, and the drives may not show up on the desktop, depending on the preferences that are set in Finder.

The best way to check what's connected is to run the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities, and check what drives show up in the top left pane.

Edit: Just re-read your post and see you've tried Disk Utility. This is a stumper, I assume other USB devices work in your USB ports?

5. sir Mudkip thread starter macrumors member

sir Mudkip

The icons are things like programs, and also things like mounted deviced andd my hard drives. Thanyou for front row, it works a charm!

Yes I mean what you stated in your top line. its just curiousity of not having the numbers in the right place:confused:

My mighty mouse and apple keyboard and usb hub and camera are all detected perfectly, and the camera and usb have been used with a vista machine before. Perhaps I will plug my power supply into my hub and try connecting it again tonight. Should I have any certain drivers for either of these external hdds?

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok then 10.4.9 was before 10.4.11. If you have 10.4.11 on your machine then you are fine!

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Front Row does not come with Tiger.

Front Row is included as part of the Leopard installation. You need 10.5 to have Front Row unless your machine is an iMac G5 (iSight) or an Intel iMac, Mac Book, Mac Book Pro or Intel Mac mini in which case the build of 10.4 that came on those machines had Front Row included.

Not sure what's going on with your drives though.

8. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

What?I used Front Row with Tiger on my old MBP!!!!!!!!!!And it came with Tiger!