WD Passport Not Popping up in Desktop...Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mark C, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Mark C macrumors newbie

I ran Disk utility and verified and tried to repair but this is what came out:

Verify and Repair disk “MARK'S HD”
    ** /dev/disk2s1
    ** Phase 1 - Read FAT
    Unable to read FAT (Input/output error)
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

I am a newbee, does anyone know what this means?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try connecting the drive to a Windows computer. Some filesystem issues will be fixed automatically by Windows.

If you're only using it on a Mac, and you are able to back up the data, you may want to reformat the drive to HFS. I can walk you through that if you like.

Whenever you use a drive, be sure to eject it before you turn it off or unplug it.

3. Mark C thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, please walk me through it, I forgot to tell you I have all my pics and video stored on this external HD. And I tried connecting it to a Windows computer and it also wont recognize the drive. Will I lose all my data?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes you will. Do you have a backup?

A program like TechTool or DiskWarrior may be able to recover your data. Unfortunately, they both go for $100.

5. Mark C thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tech tool deluxe and I ran the program but it does not pick you my external HD

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If the file system is fat i see no reason why the windows machine would not pick this drive up.

If you can plug it into the windows machine, did it say found new hardware? Can you look in disk management and see if the drive is listed? To go this

Right click my computer - select "manage" -- then scroll down you should see disk management

This will show all disks connected to the machine, and there drive letters.