WD Passport / NTFS / Paragon Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by indigotheory, May 5, 2009.

1. indigotheory macrumors regular

Hi, first thanks for the replies to the other thread.

Right, ok here goes. I have a WD Passport external hard drive, formatted in NTFS which i used with a Windows laptop before switching to a mac, I installed the Paragon NTFS driver to enable read / write to and from the drive. The passport drive works fine with the mac, now when i plug it into a windows system it appears to be corrupted and it just doesnt open,

I have tried uninstalling the driver from device manager, restarting and installing, also have made it "active" in computer management - disk management services. no luck

thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas.

2. hndn macrumors regular

I had the same problem, searched through this forum & found the answer.
    Format it in Disk Utilities, choose MS Dos (FAT32). NTFS doesn't work in Mac.

3. Fafafoooey macrumors member

Fafafoooey

NTFS does work in OSX if you use Paragon NTFS. Which version of Paragon are you using?

4. indigotheory thread starter macrumors regular

No FAT!

Version 7.01

The passport drive does work cool with the mac, the problems start when i plug it into a windows system.

5. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

It's probably easier to just use FAT32.

I've never had a problem reading or writing from mac to pc or vice versa. It can also be read from my ps3 or xbox 360.

6. indigotheory thread starter macrumors regular

thats kinda a last resort, i have 100gb free on the passport drive......its 500gb

the drive could be formatted to fat32, which could be a good thing, though i would have to budge 400gigs worth of data onto something, and i dont want to burn my superdrive out just yet, the mac is just over a week old!

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Unless you have to use the drive with both OSs, I'd recommend just reformatting it as HFS+.

When it comes to dealing with Windows -> * filesystem choices, it's a case of "reliable, cross-platform, native OS support -- pick any two".

8. indigotheory thread starter macrumors regular

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Not with an out-of-the-box Windows installation. There are ways to read data from HFS+ disks with the aid of third-party apps though.

10. n20nine macrumors member

You need MacDrive. For reading and writing NTFS drives, try NTFS 3G instead of Paragon NTFS, works pretty good..