WD passport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stealthsniper96, Aug 1, 2007.

1. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

right now im trying to decide between the western digital passport or the mybook. i would prefer the passport because i have a laptop and it'll be easier to take that one than the my book but with the passport all the reviews ive read either said it was terrible or that it was great. the mybook however ive only heard great things about. so i was wondering if any of you own/have used the passport and how well it worked.

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I have one of each.

I don't know that I'd be comfortable letting my Passport run 24x7, since it's a newish technology for WD, and doesn't have a dedicated power source.

I let my MyBook run all the time. My Passport is more of a big boy's flash drive to transfer files between my desktop and my laptop. I was actually in the market for a flash drive when I ran across it at Costco for about $10 more than the flash drive I was looking at.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I just had a 160 GB Passport die after 6 mo light use, I left it plugged in for a few days unexpectedly and now it won't even pass their test.

:(

B

4. Macintoshgeek macrumors member

Mine works great, I love how it needs no power source it is very easy to take around with my Macbook.

5. yetieater macrumors regular

I've got a 160GB WD Passport that's working fine. Write speeds are approximately 35MB/s across USB 2.0. Perhaps you should look into an external harddrive with a Firewire interface for enhanced write speeds.

6. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

yea i was thinkin about firewire. i need something reliable because i'll be using it as a backup drive.

7. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey , i've ordered a Western Digital 160gb Passport drive. I have a MacBook pro, from the revision before the current one and was wondering does anyone else have one?

Reviews i've read have stated it doesn't work with laptops because it requires too much power, is this true?....can anybody put my mind at ease?

8. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

HeavyDuty is right, they are two different types of enclosures. I use the Passport nearly every day to host my pics for a MBP, but it doesn't run all the time.

If you want something to run constantly, you'd be wise to find one with a fan in the enclosure or dissipates heat exceptionally well. My NewerTech v2 enclosure (with 500 g Seagate inside) is on constantly, and it hooked up to an AEBSn. Another enclosure by OWC is on only twice a week for firewire backups.

9. Reubania macrumors newbie

I bought the new grand piano black 250GB for my MacBook. So far, very happy with it. It's sleek, easy to use and does the job. I only use it as a backup tool - had a lot of media stuff that I rarely look at. Don't know about leaving it connected, that's not the purpose of them right? I'm sure when Leopard comes out, external HDD will be used in conjunction with their new Time Machine. So you don't have to store all those "backups" on your actual HD but on an external drive.