Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I want install a boot drive and date drive into my new Mac Pro. Should I buy a Raptor as a boot drive and the Samsung F1 750 GB as a data drive? Or should I buy two Samsung F1's and use one as boot and one as data?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
750GB is one massive boot drive.

I am actually thinking about getting 4 F1 750s and doing a 1.5TB RAID 1+0. I'd lose the gains found by separating boot from home/data, but it should be fast, secure and massive.

FWIW, my two F1 750s have been fast, quiet and reliable (so far).

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
i know 750 GB is massive but i wanted the 32 cache so it would be as fast as the raptor instead of the 16 cache offered in the 500 GB and below. and they are basically the same price so i'm kinda in limbo deciding between the two

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
I also have some questions to the geniuses of MR. ;) I've tried to piece together answers from other numerous threads but can't find the specific answers I need.

I can't find the F1 320GB 16MB HD322HJ anywhere and was going to dedicate this as my OSX and Apps drive and 2 x 750GB F1 in RAID0 for data and scratch. So instead, I'm thinking of buying 3 x 750GB F1 and do software RAID0 on the 3 drives (I've got a 500GB external LaCie for backup). I plan to use only SW RAID and I don't plan to by Apple's HW RAID card.

Some background. For my freelance work, I do a lot of photo post processing and video creation/editing using Adobe CS3 so I need scratch disk and storage. Also, I rip my DVDs, encoding and re-encoding videos for my AppleTV & iPhone/iPod.

Questions:

1. What would be the "optimal" setup in terms of disk array and partitions for what I do?
2. Would I be better under 1 x 750GB for OSX/Apps and 2 x 750GB in RAID0 with partitions for files and scratch?
3. Would I be better under 3 x 750GB in RAID0 and with separate partitions for OSX, apps, files and scratch?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
To answer the original poster's question, the Raptor drive is going to be a touch faster than the F1(or proper firmware 750 Seagate 7200.11 for that matter). But, the difference is going to be fairly small. Access/Seek times will definitely be faster but reads/writes will be close to equal.

Vice versa, the F1(and Seagate) are going to give you 5 times the storage plus they are going to be quieter/cooler.

Bottom line, Raptor is a good choice if you need the fastest you can get(they make a good choice for a windows gaming bootcamp drive and/or OS X operating system/apps drive). But, for regular use, the Seagate or F1 is going to be plenty fast.

Myself personally I'm going
- 150gb Raptor from an older system for my Bootcamp drive
- 74gb Raptor also from an older system for OS X Apps/OS drive
- Seagate 7200.11 for OSX User data/storage

with the 320gb being used for random storage.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Myself personally I'm going
- 150gb Raptor from an older system for my Bootcamp drive
- 74gb Raptor also from an older system for OS X Apps/OS drive
- Seagate 7200.11 for OSX User data/storage

Since you have two Raptors, how loud are they when used as an OS/Apps drive? Are they significantly louder than the Seagate or just slightly? I basically want a boot drive for Mac OS X & the Adobe CS3 apps, but I'd rather my Mac Pro not sound like a helicopter or something.

KevinPlusPlus

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
USA
Since you have two Raptors, how loud are they when used as an OS/Apps drive? Are they significantly louder than the Seagate or just slightly? I basically want a boot drive for Mac OS X & the Adobe CS3 apps, but I'd rather my Mac Pro not sound like a helicopter or something.

The Raptor is appreciably loud. You can definitely hear it. While it's not quite a "popcorn" drive of yesteryear, it's not silent. I have 3 other hard drives in my Mac Pro and the Raptor is the only one I hear. The others are a 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar, a 500 GB Seagate 7200.1 and a 320GB Seagate Barracuda ES.

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah they are loud. Not snap crackle pop loud, but you can hear them chugging away when they work while the other drives you would have to listen closely to the case to hear them.

I'm still putting them to use though :) They are great drives to be sure, reliable, fastest thing out there outside of SCSI 15k rpm drives, etc etc. But they are louder than your average modern drive.

LeKiD

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
What about the WD Caviar 16SE? I feel like it's a pretty good one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.