WD RE3 drive for my mac pro for Timemachine use

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hugodrax, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Currently I have a 7200.11 1TB Seagate but decided to get a 1TB WD RE3 drive to use as a time machine backup drive. (Beats having an external unit with the associated cables etc..)

What is faster the 7200.11 or the WD RE3

Also does time machine back up everything or just documents etc..

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

RE3 is faster, and it's an enterprise drive. The 7200.12 series is Seagate's answer to the Caviar Black.

Take a look at this from Tom's. You can step back a few pages to the benchmarks. ;)

3. canonballs macrumors member

Why do you think you need a fast drive? For TimeMachine, I'd think speed would not even be on one's list of priorities.

4. hugodrax thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wanted an enterprise drive due to its higher reliability etc..

I just received it and stuck it in my Mac Pro today. And its now backing up 1.5 million items, 500GB worth of stuff.

Amazingly I do not hear this RE3 drive its very quite, quieter it seems than the 7200.11

Pushing 97.5MB/s which seems to be the limit on these SATA 7200 drives. Thanks to the 4 cores this backup is not impacting my work right now :)

5. davewolfs macrumors regular

If you aren't using the Re3 for raid then you are wasting your money. They both have 5 year warranties, the RE3 has some built in raid optimizations and features for sudden shock/vibrations if they occur.

If you do get the RE3, buy two and set them up as RAID 1, otherwise get the black.