WD scorpio black HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasek3139, Sep 14, 2010.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

its a 500gb @ 7200rpm

just installed it and runs great

some ppl complained of vibration and noise from the HD

but i have NONE of those complains

its super fast and quiet

the installation was very easy and after installation i put in the SL dvd and restored from previous backup on my time machine, and it was like i never switched HDs!

i just thought id share with all of you!

2. bamf macrumors 6502

Glad to hear it's working for you. I've got the Scorpio Blue (640GB), and it's working like a champ for me too.

3. Covart Guest

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Good to hear that, I'm getting a 640Gb too...

5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I have been contemplating this drive as well. Do you think the method you took, replace then restore from time machine, would be better than getting an external housing, cloning the drive, then making the switch? Everywhere I have read suggests the latter so I am interested what would be best.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Clone the drive and then make the switch, that's best IMO...

7. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

my way was super easy and super fast

all u need is a 00 phillips head and torx 6 screw driver

when u take out/replace the HDD just pop on the install dvd wether it be leopard or snow leopard...which ever was on ur old HDD

go thru normal set up process of installing then when its done installing which took me bout 30 mins...it asks if u wanna restore from backup... select that and BOOM ur done

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    hmm.. I wonder what hard drive is in my external Western Digital My Passport Studio. I have the 500gb one.

Assuming the next MacBook Pro I get is the one w/ the 320gb hard drive (Debating on jumping to the higher end 15" MBP w/ the 500gb and other things), I was thinking about one day taking the external apart and putting the hard drive in my comp.

Looking at the packaging, it's WDMT5000TN (order) and model (WD5000MT-00).

9. ViveLeCorn macrumors newbie

Just upgraded my HD too... I was thinking of doing my upgrade from my WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive to this one you're all speaking of. I upgraded (and thus took my chance) to the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB and it's running very superb so far. But if the Momentus XT fails as others say, I will definitely hit up the internet for a WD Scorpio Black. Thanks for your report though!

10. andymodem macrumors 6502a

Upgraded my 320GB Scorpio Black to the 500GB version. Both are very good drives. Damn lossless files taking up so much space. :rolleyes:

11. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Plus it's got 5 years warranty while the new Scoprio Blue models only come with 2.

12. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Can you do this? I was thinking it would be pretty easy. I suppose that most of the externals will only be 5400 RPM? I had to look around for a 7200 RPM external with firewire in order to start using ProTools.

13. bamf macrumors 6502

Yes, that will work. It's just a 2.5" drive in those little enclosures anyway. It will most likely be a 5,400 RPM low power drive as well (since they use only a single USB connection to do power and data).