WD Scorpio Blue 1TB getting noisier

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sine-nomine, May 4, 2011.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I've had the advanced format Scorpio Blue 1TB for almost a year now in my late 2008 aluminum MacBook. At first, it was quieter than the 160GB drive the Mac came with, but since November, it's been getting noisier.

I've always been able to hear a slight "snick" as the heads park, but it was always very faint, and it didn't seem to happen that often. I also felt no real vibration from the drive, and I wasn't able to hear it spinning unless I put my ear within a few inches of the palm rest.

Now, though I can hear the "whooosh" of the drive spinning at all times, even from across the room, and I can feel some slight vibration. When I reboot after an update, I can hear a fairly loud high-pitched whine, almost like a camera flash charging, for a second or two as the drive initially spins up. I can also hear two distinct kinds of snicks that occur very regularly, say every 4-15 seconds apart.

Most worrisome, tonight, it has started making an occasional, much louder, very definite CLICK at random. It sounds kind of like an old hard drive I had from 1991 parking. It's happened 9 times within about 20 minutes, with no pattern that I could tell, but hasn't happened for the last half hour or so.

I don't notice any odd behavior (beachballs, hangs, momentary freezes, etc) at all when any of these noises occur. System profiler says the SMART status is verified.

Should I be worried?

2. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Short answer...YES! Time to get another HD and back up. At least they are pretty cheap now.

3. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

Alas. Well I presently have two clones of this hard drive as well as a Time Machine backup, so that's covered.

What do you recommend in terms of drives in the 750GB-1TB range?

4. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I was waiting for someone else to chime in. I have no personal recommendation, as I end up getting what ever is on sale at Costco for a reasonalbe price. I do know they sell WD's there. I do have a Hitachi 250gb drive that works good so far.

Good that you have plenty of backup in place!