WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Upgrade for 15.4 MBP C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stuartfang, Apr 20, 2011.

1. stuartfang, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

stuartfang macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! Nice to meet you all, members of MacRumors Forums. It's nice to finally register and become a member/part of the MacRumors forums, I've been lurking around here for a while, and was very satisfied with the results from the help of the community, the useful threads, etc.

I've had/have plenty of Apple products, since 2006, including a 2008 MacBook Pro (the integrated battery C2D platform). I recently just ordered the WD 1TB from newegg, since the stock 250GB Toshiba one just couldn't satisfy my portable space-hungry needs!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136545

It's total of 158CAD after tax and shipping, kind of expensive compared to the desktops. But I had bad experiences with external hard drives/storage, especially during airport security checks (not all but some specific countries, just unbelievable...), for the same price I could of gotten a SSD, but I already have a 80GB Intel SSD, and the space matters more than speed for me.

***Pictures removed due to exposed sensitive information such as serial numbers, etc.***

My question is what format type should I choose for the Mac OS X install? I'm not sure since I've never done a clean re-install of OS X before. Should I go with the default "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or something? Any help is appreciated.

By the way, is anybody else using this drive for their MacBook Pro(s) also? How is it - Performance, life span, durability, noise? I might check this up myself later though, just to compare the results.

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is the only format OS X will install to, so yes- you should choose this one.

3. stuartfang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast and clear answer! I appreciate it