WD Scorpio Blue 320 Problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShaneBunting, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

A friend sent me down his HP Pavilion Dm1 as he couldn't boot... It was quickly traced to an HDD problem.

Took it out, plugged it into my Mac, tried to format it, wouldn't work. It then wouldn't mount, and I had to use the 'Initialize...' option, now, it'll come up in Disk Utility with greyed out partitions 'dsk001' or something.

It's a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue drive, 2.5" ofc. It's a nice drive, which is currently un-useable.

There's no clicking, or strange noises and the drive seems to be 'vibrating/spinning' well with a normal temperature and low-noise level.

Can't do much or Disk Utility freezes up or fails to mount/unmount during formatting.

It's stuck in the MS-FAT32 format.

Anyone able to make a suggestion?

I know the drive could be dead, but this is worth a shot.

Thanks guys!!

2. ShaneBunting thread starter Suspended

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Are you trying to salvage data on it? If not, get it replaced if it's under warranty or just recycle it and buy a new drive. It's not worth trying to use a disk that isn't working 100%.
    Edit: have you tried to partition the disk, rather than just erase it?

4. ShaneBunting thread starter Suspended

It's not under warranty, it was part of an HP Laptop so I am to go through them to get warranty services.. however it's expired.

No data needs recovered, I'm just hoping to get it working again.

Partitioning on Disk Utility just freezes the app, and when it loads, I try to partition it, but it freezes indefinitely :/

5. ShaneBunting thread starter Suspended

This is what I'm seeing.. and about as much as I can see for the disk :/

Was done like this after the Windows Setup partitioned it into one whole (almost 320GB) partition, and some 100mb 'system space' partition.. :/

Attached Files:

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Toss it. It's not worth the risk of trying to salvage a $50 disk.