WD scorpio blue 500gb always spinning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DCSMAC, Jun 22, 2009.

1. DCSMAC macrumors member

i recently got a 13" mbp, upgraded to a WD scorpio blue 500gb and 4gb crucial RAM. the annoying thing is that the WD HDD seems to always be spinning (randomly at different rates, never silent). i feel that this is not only draining the battery, but it is also slightly obnoxious. is there any way to get the thing to stop spinning, or is that just what it does. I feel as though my past macbooks havent had this problem.

thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The hard drive is going to keep spinning. Get a SSD if it does bother you. No mechanical parts there and nothing to spin up.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

The Scorpio Blue has a very low power consumption for a HDD, don't worry about it otherwise get a SSD.

4. Belm macrumors regular

this is the drive that i wanted to buy. is it louder than the stock drive?

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

You can't hear it over the fan unless you put your head 6 inchs away from it, I am very happy with mine.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. There are times where I hear the same thing with the stock HDD but the WD is a bit noisier, nothing that I can't tune out.

7. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I can honestly say that I've never heard mine... Then again I do have twin four year olds, and I work in an office with fairly loud music.

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

i can honestly say ive never heard my fan turn on ever, but it's always at 2000 rpms.

different from my old unibody mb, that fan would turn on whenever i watched a movie

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can say the same. My WD 320 GB drive is quiet unless you're hovering your ear over the wrist rest.

The 13" 9400M hardware has an idle speed of 2000 RPM for the fan.

10. buckeye17 macrumors member

My Western Digital 320gb 5400 rpm hard drive makes a sound like a fan, pretty annoying. In fact, I almost thought it WAS the fan until I put my head closer and determined where the sound was coming from. I decided to go with a 500gb Hitachi instead of the 500gb Scorpio Blue, as my stock 160gb Hitachi is super quiet.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have never heard my WD 500GB Scorpio Blue.

Is your properly installed?

Mine seems to rest one four posts, the sit in rubber isolators.

It's quieter than the stock drive that came in the notebook.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have three of those beauties in my MBP's and they're sound drives, I've never heard them actually.. compared to the Samsung, the WDC 500 runs lovely and cool!

OP, don't worry about the drive spinning all the time, it's perfectly normal. If the drive spent it's time spinning up and down, you'd be moaning about the system being laggy. BTW, you do know there's an option in the PowerSaving control panel for the HD, right?

13. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i just bought this drive and even though i wanted the seagate momentus, i bought the wd due to price. it's a great drive with no problems, no vibration, less noise than stock, and no heat.

14. sos85 macrumors member

15. antskip macrumors regular

My experience exactly. :)