WD Scorpio Blue 750GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shelovesMAC, Sep 21, 2010.

1. shelovesMAC macrumors member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...546&cm_re=scorpio_blue-_-22-136-546-_-Product

I'm thinking about purchasing this and there is a $17 off code which I like :) I finally paid back my mom $999.99 for my 13" Macbook Pro so I think it's safe to say I can afford anything now lol

Is this one good? I don't play games and use my laptop for pictures and documents (still haven't found a cheap external hard drive for Itunes) so the 1TB one wouldn't really be worth it.

Thanks

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Keep in mind that it's 5400rpm and you won't see any performance over the stock 500GB or 320GB 5400rpm drive.

3. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Ahh it comes out to $92.99 and the 640GB is $84 so this is such a good deal!

4. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Not buying this for performance, just more space :)

5. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have this size of hard drive in their Macbook Pros?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm sure people do, it will work fine. You actually may see a slight performance boost due to the higher data density on the disk, but it likely won't be that big.

7. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

If I install this HD correctly, I shouldn't hear any extra clicks right? I know I don't need this much space and I think in my old HP laptop, I had 500GB and it died on me so in the long run, the extra space should be beneficial.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

You should have no issues, all macbooks run 2.5" disks, and 5400 rpms although not very fast will work just fine, and you are correct when you install it, it should be just a whisper. (no clicking)

9. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

I hope I do everything right. I've been reading the iFixit guide and watching a few Youtube videos on doing this but I have another question:

I don't need to use Time Machine to clone the hard drive on my April 2010 13" hard drive since I have maybe a picture or two on here and a couple of apps that I can remember. I keep reading that when you boot up the laptop, you have to go to the Utilities menu and "erase" something.

Is there a special guide on the exact steps to install Snow Leopard onto this hard drive so my laptop can recognize it?

10. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

yup

1 install the hard drive

2 put the disk in

3 fallow the basic instructions

4 enjoy the new hard drive space =D

11. CW Jones macrumors 6502

True and False. You should hear a click when the laptop moves suddenly. So yes you will hear a click for SMS, but should not hear it while its simply running. (lots of people don't know about SMS (sudden motion sensor) or what/why it clicks)

12. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

=D not argueing you are correct and i know what your talking about, but its like a slight ting thing and thats it, when my HD crashed on my old macbook it was clicking >_< and extremely apparent that it was no longer functioning.

13. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

What about the "erase" thing? I need a really detailed step-by-step guide once I put the disk in :)

14. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Well i installed my new hd like 2 months ago in my macbook after the old one crashed, i got an open box macbook when i bought it so there was no original disks, went to a kid i knows house and he had a snow leopard upgrade disk, so i installed the drive a 500 GB western digital 5400 rpm HDd from a 160 GB seagate 5400 rpm HDD and put the disk in, it take a few minutes for it to load and install, but then it takes you through the steps when you first turns on the computer, setting all your country and your personal info and all that stuff. Its very very easy. Theres no special little secrets or anything just put the disk in and let it work.

15. CW Jones macrumors 6502

lol I wasn't trying to call you out, just saying :)

I know the dreaded "dying" clicking. I lost the HDD on my old Dell laptop, not a good feeling related with that sound.

You would also be surprised at how many people on here thing the parking click is something wrong and/or will be fixed with a new HDD. Why fix something that is saving you? Some people I tell ya... haha

16. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Ooooh okay, thanks!

And the WD hard drive came out to $92.99 even, no sales tax and free 3 day shipping :)

17. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha yeah i know, its pretty crazy how little people know about there consumer goods and how worried they get >_< but i always run a time machine backup!!! so it had backed up within 1 hour of the HDD crash so 24 hours later when i got the new HDD and it installed and blah blah i did my time machine restore and was SO happy lol had my browser history =D